Fear Having Robo-boobs with High Profile Breast Implants

I just discoverd that my dr only uses high profile implants. My BWM is 12. So he suggested a 375 silicone HP implant. I dont understand why that is the only implant a dr. would offer. I feel like I dont have a say, which is very frustrating..but then I read to let your dr. pick. I fear having robo-boobs with the high profile. Since they are silicone and not saline, will that "help" them look more natural? After looking at implant measurement, it looks like the saline mod. profile would be comparable to the silicone HP.

Implants available in different profiles.

+1

Unless your surgeon has an inventory of high profile implants, he/she should be able to order different sizes.  Most doctors use different profile implants to fit every shape and chest size.  If you feel you will not look good with High Profile, you should seek another opinion.

High profile implants

+1

I never heard that term before.  "Robo-boobs!"  Anyway I usually use high profiles or moderate plus implants in  the majority of patients, and they certainly do not look like they have "robo-boobs."

What is the Right Breast Implant to Use

+1

Get a second opinion, even a third opinion if needed, and ask your current surgeon why he's fixed on the high profile style. There is an 'art' to surgery and a wide range of implants are chosen by different surgeons. I typically use only moderate/moderate-plus implants and reserve high profile implants for certain limited circumstances. Other surgeons have just the opposite take and we could debate it indefinitely. Find a surgeon you can work with, who is willing to listen to you and explain his decisions. Take your time and be 100% comfortable with your decision.

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Robo-boobs with high profile breast implants

+1

Aren't you fortunate that Dr Aldea has answered your question so expertly. I TOTALLY agree with him. In my practice I primarily use HP implants but when a patient fits an alternative type than of course use the MP. Also if you are "afraid" of your surgeon than you have the wrong surgeon - CHANGE! From MIAMI Dr. B

If your doctor won't listen to your concerns I would get a second opinion.

+1

The reason the manufacturers have different type of implants is that there are different types of body shapes.  With each patient a plan for her body type should be discussed rather than just saying this is the way I do it.  The ultimate goal in any cosmetic procedure is for the patient to be happy.  It usually works out well because rarely is my patient happy when I am not.

Good luck,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Fear of hight profile implants is legitimate

+1

There are frequent discussions about the use and benefits of high profile breast implants and it is true that the implant shape is not for everyone. The red flag is out if the surgeon you have seen only uses high profile silicone gel implants. If the same procedure is done every time, then some of the time it will work, but perhaps not for you and how you feel your breast ought to look. Remember, your doctor may best choose the implant for the look that you want, but only you know what the look should be. The procedure should be individualized for you and you alone. If you do not have a 'say', you better keep looking for another surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Fear of Communicating with your Plastic Surgeon

+1

Regarding: " Fear having robo-boobs with high profile breast implants   I just discoverd that my dr only uses high profile implants. My BWM is 12. So he suggested a 375 silicone HP implant. I dont understand why that is the only implant a dr. would offer. I feel like I dont have a say, which is very frustrating..but then I read to let your dr. pick. I fear having robo-boobs with the high profile. Since they are silicone and not saline, will that "help" them look more natural? After looking at implant measurement, it looks like the saline mod. profile would be comparable to the silicone HP."

A few comments.

Your Plastic surgeon should NOT intimidate you nor should you be intimidated by him. The relation should be the same as you and a builder. You want and depend on his best advice as pertains to your situation and hope he will not force him to do something that will likely result in a bad outcome.

IF he will not let you ask questions or participate in your care - ditch him. There are a lot of great Plastic surgeon who have BOTH surgical skills and people skills. You do not need to feel that you must put up with a Diva-like attitude.

Most Plastic surgeons purchase breast implants in bulk, to lower their cost per implant. While most of us buy a range of implants, some MAY purchase a very narrow range of implants which they then most commonly use. I personally do not think this is in the best interests of the patients because every woman who walks into our practice is an individual with different needs, different expectations and, most importantly, a different breast anatomy which requires different sized and profile implants. Using the same implants on everyone is a disservice which should not be tolerated by any woman.

Mentor HP gel implants are very close in size to their Moderate Profile Plus Saline implants. I personally like the dimension of these silicone gel implants better than Mentor's other gel implants BUT I would only use the volume the woman requires and wishes.

Lastly, I ASSUME by robo-boobs you mean the fake boob seen with scarring around implants. This complication can be seen with all breast implants but is more common when implants are placed under the breast and over the muscle and is more common with gel implants than with saline implants.  If you cannot accept the possibility of capsular contracture you should not have a breast augmentation which may be associated with a 15% rate of this happening in some studies.

Dr. Aldea