I live in the DFW area in Texas and I was wondering if it was possible to get orbital decompression surgery. (photo)

;due to buldging from hyperthyriodism. About 2 years ago i got my thyroid disease radioactivly removed with an iodine pill and i no longer have graves disease. However, i still have bulding eyes and they're ugly and people with this problem said their eyes went back to normal after a couple years and some dont so im looking for surery options because i dont want to wait long i am a junior in highschool imd rather be prettier sooner.

Thyroid Orbitopathy

+1
Hello sarahflores34,

As you know the eye related symptoms of graves disease can result in the "bulging" appearance to the eyes from an autoimmune-mediated inflammatory process of the orbital tissues, predominantly affecting the fat and the extraocular muscles.

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

There are surgical options for decompressive surgery, however many physicians have criteria such as ocular problems with dry eyes and measurements should be taken.

I would recommend seeking care from a specialist in thyroid related surgical decompression in your area if the medical management is not effective.

Good luck, 

Dr. Shadfar

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon