Can RN's Inject Botox in Texas?

Can RN's Inject Botox in Texas?

Non physicians injecting botox

+1

Every state has their unique laws regarding the type of provider that can perform injections.  The Botox injector should be experienced, have an excellent understanding of the anatomy, and be supervised, preferably, by the doctor. There are many excellent nurses and PAs (physician assistants) in doctors offices (dermatologists and plastic surgeons) that perform these injections, some with greater experience than doctors that don't do much of this treatment.

Having performed thousands of Botox injections since 1993, I continue to learn and perfect my technique. There is much art and science involved with relaxing facial musculature.  It is not as simple as reading a book about doing it and then treating patients. If a nurse of PA is doing the treatment, they need to have had formal and extensive training in the delivery of Botox or Dysport injections,

They can under proper supervision

+1

Unfortunately, Texas allows anyone who is supervised to inject Botox.  This leads to several medi-spas with a medical director who is never on site having nurses inject Botox.  It is very scary.  You should only let a core cosmetic specialist such as a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon do your Botox injections.

Do not take the risk; have a physician do your injections.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon

RN's Inject Botox in Texas

+1

Yes, unfortunately Texas does allow nurses and anyone else who is supervised to inject Botox. This does raise significant concerns as botox and dermal fillers should be injected by only experienced and expert injectors, preferably physician. It is not worth the risk from either the patient's or the physician's to let a lesser qualified person inject.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Can RN's Inject Botox in Texas?

+1

I agree with others here that it's always best to have an experienced MD, plastic and cosmetic surgeon, dermatologist perform your Botox injection unless the RN is under the direct supervision of the MD at all times.