Can a RN Perform MOHS Surgery?

I was curious to whether or not a RN could perform MOHS surgery if the physician was on site?

RNs and Mohs

+1

Absolutely not. Mohs needs to and can only be performed by Mohs skin cancer surgeons. RNs are not surgeons and cannot have this licensing. If a physician's office is willing to do this, I would find another office immediately. It is against all medical ethics, not to mention insurance fraud!

A properly trained doctor should do Mohs surgery

+1

A properly trained physician should do Mohs surgery and an RN doing the procedure is not appropriate.

Toronto Dermatologist

No an RN doing MOHS is not appropriate

+1

No, an RN doing MOHS is not approproate.  This is a complex procedure that should only be performed by a board-certified dermatologist.

Rn performing Mohs?

+1

I don't think so!!!!!

It would however depend on your state medical laws, but I would never delegate this aspect of the procedure to a non-physician.

Dr. Malouf

Web reference: http://www.mytotalskincare.com

Dallas Dermatologist

The doctor should do the Moh's

+1

I would think it would be inappropriate for any non-MD to be doing a Moh's procedure.  I would expect the doctor to be doing it if it were my skin cancer being removed.