Will There Be a Big Difference or Just a Barely Noticeable Difference with 550cc Saline Under the Muscle?

I had breast augmentation with 550cc saline under the muscle, moderate plus profile on March 29, 2013. I was an a/b cup before. I am 5'2 and weigh around 135lbs. I know I am only 8 days post Op, and there's more changes to come, but am concerned about the size being to small and "shrinking" a bit more after the swelling goes away and they settle, but I am already getting comments saying "all that pain/money for that? I don't see that much of a difference." Isn't 550 suppose to increase 3 cups??

Cup size and implant volume

+2

There is no chart that will say you will increase your cup size so much by using this volume.  I would think a 550 cc implant on your height and frame would make a huge difference but everyone has a different idea of what works for them.  Did you size and choose your volume?  Or did your surgeon arbitrarily pick a size after listening to you?  When you size with external sizers, you see what you will get.  But before determining if you're good enough, you do need to wait until you are 'healed'.  If  you're pleased with your undressed look and padded bras are good enough for that special look, I would suggest that over a re-operation and having the costs and risks of another surgery.

Breast implants

+2

From what you have said, I would expect you to end with a D cup.

It takes time for the muscle to stretch and get the projection you will eventually have. Be patient and give it time.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

550 cc implants

+2

550 cc implants are substantial implants and should give a significant cup change. Best to give it time to heal and for the swelling to subside.

Will 550cc Saline Breast Implants Be Noticeable?

+2

Dear latinmami87,

The impact of having 550 cc breast implants will vary depending on the size and shape of your original body and breasts.

At your height of 5'2" and weight of 135 pounds, 550 cc breast implants would typically be on the very large side, so a very significant increase in bust size would be expected.

Thorough preoperative evaluation, planning, and communication are important for having good results from breast augmentation.

You should wait at least 3-6 months to see what will be close to your final result.

If you have any concerns with your recovery and results, you should see your plastic surgeon.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

San Francisco, CA USA

Larry Fan, MD

Needs more time

+2

Hello. Five days is not enough time for the implants to settle. Your implants will not settle for about another two months and I would not be too worried about your outcome until then. Many patients report that their breasts seem larger after the implants settle.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Implant Sizing

+2

Thank you for your question.  Without before and after pictures it would be hard to say if this was the right choice. I never use cup size as a guide!  I use a desired look/shape as one of my guides. 

Best Wishes

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+2

In general, in the average woman 550 cc should increase you by almost 3 cups, but there is a great deal of variability here.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

It is hard to comment on some issues you present without photos from both before and after your surgery. Since there are no fixed definitions of cup size, I hate to make cup size predictions. Many surgeons on this site will quote a cup size increase for every 150-200 cc of implant. 

It is difficult to imagine that an implant of that size will only make a barely noticeable difference. Allow three months or so for the implants to settle. Under the muscle implants often take some time to "drop" and as the implants do so they will fill out the lower pole of the breast.

All the best. 

Time to be patient

+2

In someone with your anatomy (5'2" 135 lbs.) a 550cc implant would be on the very large side for implants that would fit onto your chest wall. I always tell patients you have to wait at least 6  weeks to see the result. As a ballpark estimate, I would expect you to be a D to DD size after the result heals. Keep the faith and don't worry. You will be fine and you might lose a few friends because you look so good!

Donald W. Hause, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon