How Risky is to Undo Sliding Genioplasty?

6 month ago I had a BSSO to bring my lower jaw inside, to correct my under-bite problem. My doctor recommended to do a sliding genioplasty (advancement) along with it because perfoming the BSSO only can make my chin appear too weak. So BSSO and genio were performed together. Now my chin & jaw are almost completely healed, and I don't like how my chin looks. It is sticking out even more than before the surgery. I'd like to reverse the genio. Will this be too risky?

Reversing the Sliding Genioplasty

+2

It is not risky at all. The bone cut is easy to make and reversing the bony position is quite straightforward. I have done it a few times and not found it to be a problem at all. It is the hardware which can be little difficult to undo at times. The more critical question is what will happen to the soft tissue under the chin in the neck. But that would depend on how much bony movement was done and how long ago the surgery was performed.

+1

Thank you for your question. This is a question for your surgeon as they are aware of what was done and how much hardware was used.  You could also explore other options addressing the chin alone.  You might consider another opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and explore other alternatives. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon