Is It Risky to Stop Fraxel After One Treatment?

It's been a month since my first Fraxel re:store treatment and I feel like I might be seeing some negative side effects and very scared after reading some of the reviews. Would I increase these risks by discontinuing the treatment?

Fraxel laser treatments

+1

If you had treatment with an experienced physician and avoided the sun, it would be very unusual to see any side effects.  You should return to the clinic and express your concerns.  It does take about 4 to 5 treatments to see results from Fraxel treatments, but if you decide to stop after one treatment,  there is no risk.  You will just not see much improvement.

Toronto Dermatologist

Fraxel treatment series can safely be discontinued anytime.

+1

Fraxel re:store treatments are usually done is a series of treatment, usually 4-6, to optimize results.  It is perfectly safe to discontinue your treatment series at any time.   

Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

Effects of one Fraxel treatment

+1

The Fraxel re:store treats a fraction of the total skin surface with each treatment, which is why 4-6 treatments are typically needed to reach the desired goals. Often, the changes in the skin after the first treatment are subtle and no real improvement is noticed until after the second treatment.  However, the results of a single treatment may vary depending on the strength of the treatment that was performed, your skin type, and the condition of your skin before the treatment. There is no danger in having only one treatment. Your skin will most likely look exactly the same as it did before the treatment.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser

+1

The risks usually only go up with more treatments or more aggressive treatments or failure to comply with sunscreen and sun avoidance.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/elitemdspa

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel is a Series of Treatments But Can Be Stopped

+1

There is no specific risk to stopping short of completing the series.  The risk profile with the Fraxel ReStore is very low in any event, with hyperpigmentation (which tends to be temporary) being most common.  Without completing a series, not much improvement would be expected. 

Web reference: http://aes.sagepub.com/content/25/3/307.full

Fraxel laser treatments may be discontinued at any time.

+1

Fraxel laser treatments may be discontinued at any time. If you are not happy with the results, you may stop your treatments at any time. Typically, however, the effects of Fraxel on the skin are very favorable: smoother texture, removal of lines and evening of skin complexion/color, plus regaining a healthy glow when the skin has become dull. Fraxel is not an all-or-none treatment: each session will provide additional benefits to the skin. If you experienced unfavorable results with Fraxel, please discuss this with your physician. It may be related to a transient side effect that may be relatively simple to improve/fix.

Dr. Leyda Bowes

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Any risk to stopping Fraxel?

+1

No, there is no risk to stopping the Fraxel treatments after just one go around.  Other than perhaps your not getting the full benefits of additional treatments.  I do think one needs to be careful of getting scared of certain procedures depending on what is written on the internet.  IMHO, it is most important to have confidence in your treating physician and listen to his/her advice.

Web reference: http://kassmd.com

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

No risk in stopping skin care lasers

+1

All skin care regimens using lasers can be stopped any time you feel that this is better for you.  I can think of no risk in doing that other than not receiving the potential maximum benefit from the laser.

Fraxel CAN be stopped at any time

+1

All laser skin resurfacing (including Fraxel) can be stopped at any time if you are not comfortable with your results or progress.