How Risky is a Lip Revision 1 Year After Moh's Repair?

Photo is six weeks following Moh's repair seen here with makeup and artificial lighting. When I come to the one year mark for even a consultation, how risky/successful are revisions on this area of the face in terms of more scaring and possibly more deformity? A V-Y was used on the right between upper lip and end of nose. I am very interested in hearing from those who have actually had several successful outcomes in this type of revision. Thank you!

Revision

+1

it is not uncommon to need a revision one year afetr this form of surgery. It will be a lot easier to give an opinion after some time has passed.

Wait one year for scar revision

+1

I can certainly understand your concern about your lip scars.  Waiting one-year to proceed with a scar revision is a good idea.  Scars go through substantial maturation over the course of  a year.  By year's end, you'll have a better appreciation for what it looks like and if there are any residual areas that you'd like addressed.   Waiting the year will likely yield a better long-term outcome, and will reduce the chances of making the long-term deformity worse.  As far as scarring is concerned, every incision results in some sort of scar.  It's up to your individual provider to discuss where any new scars would be placed and how much benefit they feel a revision would give you.

In the meantime; avoid sun exposure to the area.  Use a silicone based scar ointment/cream.  Massage the area regularly.  Should the incision appear to have a height mismatch, your surgeon may discuss dermabrasion, or the use of a steroid injection (Kenalog/Triamcinilone).

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip revision after MOHs surgery

+1
It is best to wait at least one year before considering a revision. A lip scar revision can certainly help to improve the appearance of the scar. During the healing period, sunscreen, massage with vitamin E oil and close follow-up with your surgeon may eliminate the need for further surgery.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip revision after Moh's surgery

+1

Clearly, you had a large defect from the treatment of your skin cancer.  As there is nothing obviously wrong with the repair, it is best to wait 1-2 years and be reassessed for a revision.  You might not need anything at that point.  Massage, sun avoidance, and time are your best allies in the healing process.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lip Revision 1 year after Reconstruction of Moh's Surgery

+1

At 1 year after surgery the tissues should be free of inflammation and supple. That would be an ideal time for revision.

More importantly, you and your surgeon must understand each other and see if your goals are attainable. In this photograph, you have a very good result. I am guessing you want the scar to be as inconspicuous as possible. The degree to which that may be achievable needs to be discussed and understood.

Dr. Peter Aldea