Stitches and Laser Labiaplasty?

When would surgeons choose to perform a labiaplasty with a laser rather than a scalpel? Are there added risks to consider about the accuracy or difficulties that might arise during the surgery when using a laser? Are sutures still used with laser? If so, does a laser technique make sutures more complicated for the surgeon than a scalpel?

Laser and Labiaplasty

+2

The use of a Laser for this procedure, in my opinion, is a marketing gimmick.

The procedure is reliable and accurate with a scalpel alone and sutures. Plus, there is no risk of a burn as could be possible with the Laser

I see no added benefit from the use of a Laser for this procedure.

Choosing is skilled surgeon matters more than whether the plastic surgeon uses a laser or a scalpel.

Labiaplasty with surgery or laser in Los Angeles

+1

Most surgeons will agree that surgical labiaplasty is more controlled and does not cause ancillary damage to sensitive nerves surrounding the ablated tissue.  I would recommend surgical labiaplasty as a more technically defined procedure. My office offers consultation for labiaplasty in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Laser labiaplasty vs. scalpel

+1

Use of the laser could theoretically diminish bleeding by instantly cauterizing vessels encountered during labiaplasty.  The labia have a very rich blood supply.  The laser however, creates a zone of tissue injury slightly beyond the skin edge being trimmed, and thus, may not heal as well at the microscopic level.  Whether this affects the results is uncertain.  Bleeding during scalpel labiaplasty is controlled with sutures and cautery, and is generally not problematic.  In the end, the comfort level of the surgeon and individual preference will dictate the method used for the procedure, and sutures are required for the repair either way.

Steve Laverson, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty which generally involves the reduction of excess labia minor tissues is commonly performed with aid of a scalpel.  The exact instrument is not as important as the surgeon wielding it.  There are different instruments available to aid the surgeon in performing the surgery, however the surgical technique and planning is more important to the results than the exact instrument used.  Surgical scars in this area on this specialized skin is generally not an issue.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

There is a saying: that what matters  “is not the tool but the fool  behind the tool".  In other words, the most important issue in determining successful outcome of any procedure is not the specific tools used but the skill, judgment, and experience level of the surgeon.

I do not personally think there's any difference when a laser is used instead of a scalpel. Either way sutures will be used.

Labiaplasty Technique

+1

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function.  To achieve these two most important elements, it is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD