Risks of a Steroid Injection on 'Dog Ear' Scars on Upper Lids, 2 Years Later.

What are some of the risks to having a steroid injection into 'dog ear' scars? Had an upper bleph two years ago and the doctor flared his incision lines all the way up to touch the end of my eyebrows. I am now left with 'dog ears'; raised scars that look like cysts. I do not want my eyelids cut again. A doctor suggested a steroid injection on this site and I was wondering what are the possible risks. Is there a particular steroid that is better than others? Thanks.

Steroids do not cure dogears.

+2

Dogears should be corrected with a minor surgical operation. Steroids should not be used to try to solve this problem.

Blepharoplasty Scar Revision

+2

A "dog ear" refers to an area along an incision of excess skin.  Although you are apprehensive, excision of the excess skin is the best way to correct this issue.  The relative risk to this type of correction should be minimal.  I would only suggest steroids for thickened, hypertrophic scars.  Steroid injections will not alleviate skin excess.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

"dog ears" on blepharoplasty

+2

"Dog ears" refers to redundant tissue, if this is the case then an excision is probably best.  Steroids will flatten hypertrophic scars.

Steroid injections not indicated for a true dog ear deformity

+2

The only indication for steroid injections would be a thickened or raised hypertrophic scar.  If there is actually extra skin then a surgical revision should be considered.  A photograph would be very helpful.  

Scar revision after blepharoplasty

+2

The risk can be minimal if done conservatively.  Revisional surgery or scar revision may be a valid option too if again done conservatively.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treating dogear scars on the upper lids

+2
If your scars are hypertrophic, or raised, then steroid injections can be considered although, two years later, the degree of improvement may be in question. However, dogears result from leaving excess skin at the edge of the scar line and those can only be treated by surgical revision. If you are uncomfortable with your surgical result, perhaps get a second opinion before making any decisions.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

A photo would be helpful.

+2

Bottom line, your surgeon mean well but they are going to get you into trouble with the steroids.  The best solution for excess skin (that's what causes the "dog ear" is revisional surgery.  The steroids will cause fat atrophy and it is not worth the risk.

Steroid Injection for Dog Ears on Eyelids

+2

Dog ears are typically due to extra skin and are treated with excision (cutting).

Hypertrophic scars and keloids may be treated with steroid injections.

You may want to show a picture of your condition.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Incisions are probably better

+2

you may want to get another opinion and certainly some photographs would be helpful but it sounds like in your case incision would be the best thing for you. I can understand your hesitation having had surgery in the past and having an issue with dog ears but I don't think steroids are not quite do it for you.the other thing I would say is that dog ears two years after surgery may be more likely due to aging and the surgery itself. Were these present from the start?

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dog-ears After Bleph?

+2

The downside of steroid injections include thinning of the skin and discoloration of the skin (if you have a darker complexion) .   If you truly have dog-ears then removal of these area offers the best solution but it does extend the scar.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS