What Are the Possible Risks in Shaving Down Nose Hump?

I have small hump on my nose (dorsal) part of the prominence resulted from and injury and part I feel was inherited? I never really noticed before I broke my nose. Anyway, I was wondering what the risks were to shave it down?

Are there any risks later on down the road as I get older; changes in appearance from the front, nose drooping, or having extra skin? I found a pic online of what mine looks similar to. My "hump" is a little higher (further from the tip, closer in relevance to my eyes) but its about the same size. Thanks.

Risks of shaving down nose hump

Removing a nose bump (dorsal hump) is a very common operation.  I don't know if either of the photos you uploaded are you or not.  The first photo would be treated different than the second photo because there is a deep set radix and this area should be augmented for a better result.  Complications of rhinoplasty include temporary or permanent nasal congestion, irregularities along the nasal dorsum, unflattering results.  Temporary swelling, bruising and oozing are expected and not considered complications.  Because rhinoplasty is a complex 3-dimensional operation, it is best to see a specialist.  See a rhinoplasty expert who can give you a detailed examination and make recommendations based on your unique anatomy.  All the best!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

16918 Dove Canyon Road
San Diego, CA 92127

Risks after shaving a nasal dorsal bump

Thank you for your inquiry!

To answer your question quickly, I believe the risk that is worth mentioning when shaving down your nasal bump is an open roof deformity where the nasal bones will be seen through the skin. Therefore, I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Shave the bump can widen the nose from the front.

An often underappreciated consequence of shaving the bump is that the nose, from the front, will appear wider. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon anticipates this, and should explain that additional maneuvers need to be performed during your rhinoplasty in order to once again narrow the nose from the front to maintain its initial width.  

Philip Miller, MD

60 E 56th Street
New York, NY 10022

Nasal Dorsal Humps

Complications are uncommon following rhinoplasty, but in rare cases they may occur for a variety of reasons. In the post-operative period, patients undergoing rhinoplasty may experience bleeding, infection, asymmetry, chronic swelling, numbness and prolonged tenderness.

Removal of nasal dorsal humps may be associated with unique complications following rhinoplasty. These include boney irregularities of the nasal dorsum, and rarely a complication known as an open roof deformity. This occurs when the paired nasal bones stay separated following take down of the dorsal hump because of inadequate infracture.

Late complications can also occur following rhinoplasty and removal of nasal humps. Once swelling has resolved patients may not be happy with their aesthetic result. In other cases, over resection of bone and cartilage can result in a condition known as an internal valve collapse which can result in nasal airway obstruction. In a small number of cases the hump can return due to calcium deposits and scar tissue. Rarely excess nasal skin generated by removal of dorsal humps can sag resulting in nasal deformities.

Although complications can occur following this type of procedure they can usually be minimized with appropriate surgical care and good communication between surgeon and patient. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

1 risk of shaving a nose comment is open roof deformity

Thank you for your question.  Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in rhinoplasty surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Generally speaking my biggest concern about rasping or shaving a dorsal pump of the nose is that if too much is removed the 2 nasal bones can  be visualized through the skin a condition called open roof deformity.  Be sure to discuss these concerns with a plastic surgeon you consult.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Risks associated with shaving down dorsal hump

The largest complication that can occur from shaving down of the dorsal hump is if the hump wants to re-grow. There is a 10% chance of having to perform a minor revision procedure on the bridge to file down a regrowth of calcium deposit after the rhinoplasty.
Once the bump is shaved down, osteotomies will have to be performed to narrow the sidewalls. There are no other risks later down the road from the front, side, or tip views as long as the nose is not broken. There are no issues with extra skin because it re-drapes over the nose after rhinoplasty.For many examples, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo gallery

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Removal of Nasal Bump

Depending on size, the bump may be shaved or actually removed. Most times the nasal bones must be mobilized to achieve or maintain normal contour. In 35 years of this work, this is probably the most common request in primary cosmetic rhinoplasty.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Fixing a nasal hump

This is a seeming simple operation that in many cases is much more complex that meets the eye. The composition of the dorsal hump will vary from patient to patient--part of it is cartilage and part of it is bone. Furthermore, the length of your nasal bones will affect how much can be safely removed. Sometimes, a hump is not really due to excess of the dorsum but recession of the 'radix' area above it. Personal examination by an experiences rhinoplasty surgeon can help you determine what is best for you. Each of these situations engenders different technical considerations, which in turn will vary the risk profile for you.

Best of luck to you.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

801 Welch Road
Stanford, CA 94304-1611

Dorsal nasal hump

Shaving down the bump on the dorsum of the nose is done all the time in rhinoplasty surgery. One risk, is that it may expose an underlying curvature but this can be corrected at the time of surgery.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Removing a nasal hump

There are risks involved with any surgery. With rhinoplasty, a few associated risks may be asymmetry, irregularities, chronic swelling, infection, and bleeding. For a full explanation of risks to be aware of with rhinoplasty please see my youtube page and website. When performed properly by a highly skilled surgeon, a rhinoplasty should look great years down the road, and risks will be minimized.

A columellar strut can prevent the nose from drooping in the future. Extra skin is usually not an issue. It is difficult to determine exactly what your needs are without seeing your photos and/or performing an examination. If you wish, you may send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212