Risks of a Rhinoplasty at Age 17 (Male)

I went to a doctor to examine my nose in the hope of correcting my breathing problems and removing the bump I have. He said that I have a deviated septum, and said I should wait at least another year to correct the bump. He said that there was a chance that my nose could get deformed after surgery and that I would have to wait a year to get it corrected, but research has shown me that the vast majority of doctors consider my age to be fine. Should I get a second opinion?

The right time for rhinoplasty

+1

age 15 or 16 in the right patient is appropriate as the nose is better than 90% mature by that age in most patients

maturity, a good support system for post operative healing , and a realistic operative plan most often result in a positive outcome and experience

i find my patients at this age are usually quite successful

Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with breathing and bump

+1

Once you have stopped growing about 15, 16 you can have a rhinoplasty. Your nose will not change after you have stopped growing unless you have an injury or have your upper incision teeth pulled. At 17, you will not see any change to your nose by waiting.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Proper age to get male rhinoplasty

+1

Being 17 years old is usually an acceptable age to have rhinoplasty. Another factor is the overall maturity of the person having surgery.

It would probably be a good idea to get another opinion about whether you're a good surgery candidate or not.

You can learn more about whether rhinoplasty is a good option for you at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

What is the minimum age for nasal surgery?

+1

The answer has changed over the years. In the past the minimum age was 18 or so, then 17. The concern surgery would affect the subsequent growth of the nose has been challenged and currently chronological age isn't a major factor in the surgical decision. Rather the psychological maturity and family support  are the most important. Research at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto has shown the concern over stunting further nasal growth to be greatly exaggerated.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty for a 17 year old male

+1

As long as you have stopped growing for the last year, it's certainly acceptable to undergo a septo-rhinoplasty for both breathing and cosmetic purposes. A septo-rhinoplasty is a big step, so it is good idea to get 2-3 different consultations to make sure you're comfortable with your surgeon. Please see  the link below for examples of dorsal hump removal in our practice. Virtual Rhinoplasty software is  available on our website  for you to  see what your new nose might  look like.

17 yo male and rhinoplasty

+1

If you have reached adult height and are no longer growing, then it is probably OK to undergo a rhinoplasty at 17.

Your research came up short

+1

It is not an issue of chronological age as much as it is an issue of growth.  If you are still growing and have a rhinoplasty and or septoplasty the nose could become distorted after surgery.  To confirm that you have stopped growing, you can have an xray of your hands.  If the growth plates in your hands are fused, it is unlikely you will grow anymore.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risks of a Rhinoplasty at Age 17

+1

It is possible for skeletal growth to continue to 21 or so in males.  However, if your height has remained unchanged for a year, you are probably finished with growth.  The rhinoplasty is not riskier at your age.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Age for rhinoplasty

+1

If your nose hasn't changed for a few years, I would have no problem performing the surgery on you at this age, but remember, since you are still,a minor, you will need parental consent.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Acceptable age for Rhinoplasty

+1

From the point of view of anatomy and the stage of your nasal and facial development, you are absolutely ready for have your nasal correction.

Kris Conrad, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon