Risks of Plastic Surgery with a History of Keloids?

i have had keloids in the past on my earlobes, but i really want surgery to fix my belly button because i am so sick of my outie, i always try to cover my stomach and it sticks out!!!

Keloid development

+1

If you have a history of keloid formation, you have a risk of developing keloids whenever you sustain a skin injury. If you need a hernia repaired, then you have to decide if the risks out weigh the benefits or vice a versa.

Keloids and umbical correction

+1

If you have an umbilical hernia than you will most likely need to have this repaired regardless of your keloid tendency. Unfortunately your keloids do not mean that you absolutely will form them but it also means that you are at higher risk,

Cosmetic surgery in a patient with a history of keloid formation

+1

Anyone with a history of keloids can certainly get another keloid anywhere they have surgery or a cut on the skin. Doing cosmetic surgery in this setting one has to balance the risk of keloid formation vs. the results to be expected from surgery. The greater the improvement that can be expected after surgery the better the trade off is.

So early facelift procedures are probably better delayed until one is older and has more severe aging changes to justify the surgery. Whatever surgery you have it is best to choose a surgeon who will not just operate and then leave you on your own. You would need to be seen at some intervals after surgery to make sure you do not form new keloids and at the first sign of such treatment (injections, pressure...) have to be initiated right away.

With respect to a bulge of the belly button it is important to make sure that you do not have a hernia. These should be fixed shortly after they are found because of the risk of bowel being stuck in the hole especially if it is a smaller hole.This is not cosmetic surgery and would be covered by health insurance.

Aaron Stone, MD

It sounds like you may have a hernia

+1

If all you notice is an "outie" then you may have an umbilical hernia. Keloid formation is certainly a possibility and there is no way to guarantee that you won't form a keloid. Consult with a surgeon about your umbilicus and get their opinion on keloid formation.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon