Risks of Needing to Reduce Pocket Size when Going Down in Implant Size?

I currently have 700cc in each breast, Moderate Plus profile implants. I want to go down to about 450cc in a Moderate profile - which would require stitches to decrease the size of my current pockets. I've had the 700s in for 4 years. I am told that if I elect for 550cc moderate instead I don't need to touch the pockets, but ideally I would like to have less width, thus 450cc. What can I expect if I get internal stitches to reduce the pocket size? Risks? Will it look good? Thanks.

Implants

+2

When  changing to smaller size implants, I usually do not perform internal suturing unless there is considerable asymmetry.  If you have good symmetry, but just want smaller implants, you should be able to undergo a simple exchange.

Downsizing of Breast Implants and Capsulorrhaphy?

+2

Downsizing of breast implants and capsulorraphy requires significant technical expertise in my opinion. The risks of this procedure include breast asymmetry, recurrence of implant displacement/malposition problems ( asymmetrical implant movement concerns), unsatisfactory skin redraping,  as well as the usual risks/potential complications associated with breast augmentation surgery in general.

I would suggest that you select your plastic surgeon carefully; ask to see lots of examples of his/her work helping patients with capsulorraphy surgery.

Revision Breast Augmentation

+2

There is no formula that dictates if internal plication of the pocket is necessary when reduction of implants are contemplated; every case deserves its own consideration and is up to the opinion of the surgeon.  Regardless, choosing the size of the new implant should not be based on the details of the surgery required to perform the task, but instead on other factors like your subjective feeling of how big you are, how big you want to be, and the surgeon's expertise in knowing how much to reduce.

You should make your decision on implant size and the surgeon either will or wont perform an internal plication.  If it is necessary, plication stitches are effective at reducting the pocket size, lifting the position of the implant, and preventing lateral migration of a smaller implant. 

Revision surgery is more complex than primary surgery, and should be performed by those that have an excellent reputation in this type of surgery. Be sure that your doctor has had extensive experience in revision surgery of this nature.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Revisionary breast surgery

+1

Decreasing the size of breast implants by almost half would most likely require plication of your pockets and even a lift if you are to have favorable results. Look for someone who has extensive experience with revisionary breast surgery. He/she should be able to give you a good idea as to what to expect in your case. Risks are mostly the same as breast augmentation surgery. Recovery would include wearing an underwire bra 24/7 for an extended period of time to give new pocket a chance to heal.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Reducing implant size and risks of surgery

+1

Generally speaking, revision surgery is more complex than primary augmentation. Not only the surgery is different but also the post operative recovery and instruction are different. The outcome of surgery depends on several factors; how you conveyed what you wanted to the surge , your expectations and the experience of the surgeon.A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and addressing all the above issues is important for satisfactory outcome.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Revision breast augmentation

+1

Changing the volume of the implants to be smaller may not only require a capsulorrhaphy as you describe but also a breast lift in some cases.