Risks of Fixing Lower Lip with Botox?

Hi there, what are the risks of correcting a crooked lower lip with botox or other procedures. It is not neurological, just a weak muscle on left side, very lax and inherited, 2 relatives have the same thing. most obvious when I speak and smile.

Botox around the mouth

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing you in person, however from what you are describing, Botox injections around the mouth are intended to relax the muscle. Discussing your concerns with a well trained and experienced injector will help you determine what will be best suited for your needs.

Risks of Fixing Lower Lip with Botox?

+1

The obvious issue here is the fact that Botox, or any of the neurotoxins, injected into the lip to make it less asymmetric will further weaken the lip muscles.  Perhaps a lip augmentation with Restylane, Juvederm or Alloderm Implants would be a better solution.

Botox for lip asmmetry

+1

Botox could be used cautiously, and with very small doses on the side of the mouth that does function, to purposely minimize the contraction of that side when smiling to make the mouth match the other side better.  As the effect of Botox will last about three or more months, you must be aware that there is a risk you won't be happy with the result and will have to "live with it" until the botox has warn off.  A very experienced and knowledgable physician will need to evaluate your anatomy, with your mouth at rest and with smiling to determine which muscle(s) are affected. Then a tiny dose of Botox might be placed in the other side into the muscle corresponding to affected muscle. You might have problems, though, with speech, eating and drinking, and singing.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for fixing a lip

+1

Botox could be used for what you describe, but you definitely want someone with great anatomical knowledge to know where and how much to inject. I would go slow and inject the bare minimum into the stronger muscle and see you back 2 weeks later for a touch-up if needed; I would definitely not want to over-weaken the stronger muscle, so the key is to go slow with an experienced injector/specialist.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Fixing Lower Lip with Botox

+1

If you're asking about injecting the stronger right lower lip with Botox to make it look like the weaker left side I would advise you not  do this. It is unlikely you will achieve symmetry and you will have limited motion of both lips.

Botox, Dysport or Xeomin for asymmetric lower lip function

+1

It is possible to treat asymmetric lower lips that are congenitally or traumatically created either by weakness to the lip depressor muscles or their motor nerves such as the marginal mandibular nerve. The actual medication is a neuromodulator  in the form of Botox, Dysport or the latest Xeomin. A small amount is placed into the depressor anguli oris (DAO) on the opposite side to weaken the strong side and make the smile more symmetric. The risks if not done by experience injector is injecting to much of the neuromodulator or injecting the wrong muscle and creating weakness that will worsen the asymmetry and may cause drooling as well as a crocked smile.

This is a more advanced technique and should be done by a board certified plastic surgeon or specialist!!!

Good luck   

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Care must be taken with Botox around the lips

+1

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if Botox can be injected into the stronger part of the lips to weaken it so that it matches the weaker side.  I would advise great care with this decision because weakness around the mouth/lip muscles and cheek muscles that control the movement of the lips can result in slurred speech, dripping of liquids from the mouth and difficulty smiling on both sides.

And unfortunately Botox cannot be reversed until the body circumvents the blockade of the nerve-muscle communication by the medication, but that may take up to 3-4 months.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox to treat a lower lip weakness?

+1

It sounds like what you are descrbing is a weakness of the marginal nerve--a branch of the facial nerve that can be weak in some people, resulting in a crooked smile. Realize that Botox use would weaken, not strengthen the muscle. So, to make your smile symmetrric, you would have to weaken the better side. I recommend leaving it alone and have that smile be your trademark!!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for lip asymmetry

+1

Please post a photograph of your lips for evaluation as it is impossible to conjecture whether a treatment could be effective without seeing the symptomatology.  Thanks!

Robert L. Kraft, MD