What are the Risks of Capsular Contracture with Vitiligo?

I am 22 days post BA (250cc silicone unders). I have vitilago (which some doctors consider an auto-immune disease and some would not) for 38 years that has periods of remission and advancement.

I take no medications nor treatment. My PS assured me that my risk of developing capsular contracture was the same as any other patient. What are the risks? I am massaging often during the day but worry about any tightness that I experience. My next check up with PS is in three weeks. Thank you.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Since capsular contracture is not a well known entity but we do think it is likely do to bugs your auto-immmune condition is unlikely to increase your risk

Breast Augmentation

+1

Capsular contracture is most likely caused by a biofilm which can form around a breast implant.  It is not related to AID or vitiligo. You are not at higher risk. So rest easy.   You appear to have a very pleasing result.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture rates

+1

there are no published medical reports of higher capsular contracture rates in patients with vitiligo. When placed under the muscle, you are looking at about an 8% rate of capsular contracture if you follow a patient for a minimum of 5 years.

Julio Garcia, MD

Vitiligo

+1

To my knowledge there is no correlation between vitiligo and the development of capsular contracture

Richard Linderman, MD

Capsular contracture and vitiligo

+1

There is no increased risk of capsular contracture with vitiligo.  You should do as all patients with silicone implants do and that is massage the implants.  You should also know the best way to detect leaks is with an MRI of your breasts.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Vitiliigo does not affect capsular contracture

+1

Vitiligo does not affect capsular contracture.  Massage is unproven but very popular recommendation.  i do not recommend massage for textured implants early after surgery as it may affect its ability to adhere to the pocket.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

No Known Connection of Capsular Contracture & Vitiligo

+1

I am unaware of any association of capsular contracture with vitiligo.  You certainly seem to have significant vitiligo and you appear to have a nice early result from your augmentation.  I think you can rest assured that there is not a known connection.

John Whitt, MD

Vitiligo and capsular contracture

+1

I know of no study associating vitiligo with a capsular contracture.  I do not believe that there is any increased risk.

Capsular Contracture and Vitiligo

+1

Dear Lisa in Hanoi:

Thank you for your question. To view a video on breast augmentation click "more" below. There is no evidence the having vitiligo increases your chances of getting capsular contracture, and at 22 days after surgery, it is too early for capsular contracture to be diagnosed. Continue massaging, and expect that some days it will feel tighter than others. Day to day changes are normal and more dramatic in the months after surgery. The overall trend should be softening with time. If it seems that your breast are continuing to get tighter and harder over several weeks time, be certain to let your plastic surgeon know. 

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon