Risks of Bone Formation After Radiesse to Chin Area?

I am considering radiesse for a slight chin lift... but I was reading about how it can lead to unwanted bone formation if injected deep, which I presume would be the case for a "chin" boost? I just wanted to know what the odds of that happening are? How safe is it exactly.. considering you would need like a whole syringe of stuff injected?? Thanks in advance!

Non-surgical chin augmentation VIDEO

+2

That is an excellent question and one I was initially concerned about. I have injected several hundred patients with calcium hydroxyapatite and have not observed heterotopic bone formation although it does remain a concern. I guess it is possible but have become less worried about it occuring.

Radiesse and Bone Formation

+1

Though Radiesse is made of a substance that is very similar in molecular structure to bone and teeth, it should never cause unwanted bone formation if injected properly. I inject more Radiesse than almost any doctor in the country and I have never seen such a phenomena. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Radiesse should not cause bone formation

+1

If Radiesse is injected properly - it shouldn't be injected deeply enough to interact directly with bone, therefore it should not cause bone formation.  The collagen that is formed helps treat those areas of depression thus minimizing shadows give a more youthful appearance.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Radiesse cause bone formation?

+1

Hi Toronto.  We have not seen any indication fo this in our practice.  Because we do not inject Radiesse deeply enough to interact directly with bone, we would find this possibility very unlikely.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Radiesse causing bone formation

+1

Simply put, if Radiesse is injected properly it should not cause bone formation. In the chin it should be injected just beneath the skin and above the periosteum (the covering of the bone).

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse does not form bone

+1
Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxyapatite which is a precursor of bone formation. It might produce bone if injected under the tight covering on top of bone called periosteum but there are no reports of bone formation with subcutaneous injections of which I'm aware.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Radiesse can be safely nused for a modest chin augmentation or a chin lift

+1

To get a visible result from a Radiesse chin augmentation, you will usually need a full syringe or at least close to 1cc if not more. Radiesse may occasionally produce a little ectopic bone formation if it is placed under the periosteum but this is not of clinical significance. Most Radiesse chin augmentations probably end up with most of the filler material outside of the periosteum. Radiesse is perfectly safe for use for chin augmentation. Just don't expect that it can create the same effect as a chin implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD