Risk of Uneveness with Rhinoplasty for Wide Nose and Upturned Tip?

What kind of Rhinoplasty would be the best option for me. I want my nose to look straight from the side and also thinner from the front. Is there a risk of uneveness if only tip is corrected? If my nostrils are shortened is there a risk that they will appear uneven as well?

Risks of rhinoplasty surgery

Certainly all of the risks you mentioned are possible, just not very common.

It is best as Dr. Placik suggested to view the nose in its entirety to see how the balance could be optimized,not just consider it as a unrelated parts. You would do well to consult with him if you are in Chicago.

Often reducing tip projection slightly and softening the tip can yield a more pleasant nose, without having to do anything with the nostrils.

Definitely consider the entire nose, especially if both the width and the tip are concerning you.

Probably more to an upturned nose than just the tip

The profile photo you have provided demonstrates an over rotated nasal tip. In rhinoplasty surgery every move that is made to correct one portion of your nose needs to be carefully considered. If one area of the nose is changed during rhinoplasty than another area will likely need to be addressed as well. If you lower your tip, the nasal dorsum and nostrils will likely be affected in some way. I would not suggest shortening your nostrils unless they flare out significantly after lowering the tip.
I also concur with those of my colleagues who have recommended computer imaging. Good morphing software will help to demonstrate the various changes your nose will likely undergo.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sometimes its just the tip, but more often the entire nose needs to be adressed for balance in rhinoplasty

Many patients come in asking for just the tip of their nose to be refined, or just the hump removed. If that is the only thing done, the nose may become out of balance. I find that computer imaging is an excellent tool to demonstrate how the nose usually needs to be treated top to bottom for a balanced result. Sometimes, it can be just the tip or the hump, this can also be demonstrated by imaging.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Treating the upturned nose

A tip only rhinoplasty can create a thinner tip. However some form of cartilage grafting, most likely taken from the septum would be required to rotate the upturned tip downwards. As Dr. Aldea stated this may make the nostrils appear rounder and this could be treated with alar rim grafting and or modified Weir excisions.

Rhinoplasty can correct an upturned tip

Most often the concern in rhinoplasty is maintaining a soft and subtle projection of the tip of the nose just above the nasal bridge.

From the picture that you presented it is seems that the opposite is true. The bridge of the nose is straight, and we can see that the tip projects well above.

During rhinoplasty it is very possible to reduce the prominence of the tip, and raise the bridge of the nose as the nose is narrowed as viewed from the front.

Computer simulation can help you understand what the changes might look like, and ensure the surgery is planned to your expectation.

Best of luck.

Rhinoplasty Surgery may address a bulbous, overprojected tip.

Your tip appears to be a bit overprojected, and if it's bulbous on the front view, you could have these issues addressed with Rhinoplasty Surgery. I think you raise a good point about the angle of your tip and upper lip. You have an attractive nose-lip angle, but further rotation could lead to an "upturned" appearance.

If your nostrils are symmetric now, then they should remain symmetric after surgery. If your nostrils are wide on the front view, then deprojecting your tip (lowering it so its closer to your face) may widen them, and this could easily be addressed during surgery. It seems like deprojecting your tip will lead to the straight profile you want without the need for grafting to your bridge.

You should consult several experienced, board-certified Rhinoplasty Surgeons with many photos before you proceed.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the upturned nose.

It is possible to do only the tip without touching the bridge other than narrowing. It is difficult to evaluate your entire nose from just the profile, but it is likely that you would require some cartilage grafting from your septum to correct the upturned part of the tip.

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area.

Hi Barbie,

It looks like a tip - plasty would suit you well. Its difficult to be certain without seeing the front of your face.

Reduction of your tip cartilages and reshaping of your tip would deproject your nose and make it narrower from the front.

As far as nostril reduction, that would depend on what your nose looks like from the front. There is always a chance for postoperative asymmetry.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty options

It's difficult to give a precise answer with only a side view, but it sounds like you'll need a full rhinoplasty to narrow the entire nose. If the tip only bothers you, a tip plasty alone would be reasonable. There is technically always a risk of uneven nostrils, but certainly everything done during surgery is aimed at restoring symmetry. Keep in mind that if you start with uneven nostrils, they will have a greater chance of remaining uneven after surgery. Best wishes and good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Uncommon risks of rhinoplasty

Thank you for your inquiry!

You bring up good points in your post yet they are quite uncommon to happen with a well-experienced surgeon providing you with the best surgical approach securing a natural look complementing your facial features. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. 

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS