What Are the Risk for Older Women for Implants?

Mature women also benefit from breast augmentation

+1

Breast implants aren't the exclusive province of women in their 20's.  Many woman who are dissatisfied with the appearance of their breasts, produced by multiple pregnancies/lactation, age, volume deflationary changes, etc. choose breast augmentation.  Assuming that these patients are healthy, motivated and have a clear vision of what they would like to achieve, I am unaware that there is a higher incidence of complications.  good luck.

Breast implants in an older individual

+1

AS you can see, age is generally less of a consideration than your overall health. Patients over 50 generally undergo more frequent breast surveillance examinations than those under the age of 50. This may play a role in the decision making process.

Risk for older women who want breast implants?

+1

There really is no increase risk for older women requesting breast implants. if the patient is healthy the risks are the same as for younger women. We do know that our risk of other diseases increase as we age. So if the patient, no matter what age ,has other medical problems we always obtain medical clearance and blood work. As we age the criteria increases and some hospitals require an EKG as part of the medical clearance.  We like patients over 40 or with a family history of breast cancer to obtain a mammogram prior to breast surgery.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Age alone not an issue

+1

As my colleagues have stated, age alone is not an issue.  Your plastic surgeon will review your health status (your past medical and surgical history, medications, and allergies) to determine if you are a good candidate for a cosmetic breast procedure.  Please visit with an American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) member surgeon to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Older women and breast implants

+1

As long as you are healthy and have no major health problems - age is not a factor in deciding if breast implants are right for you.  My oldest patient for breast augmentation was in her seventies (going on fifty)!  Her comment after surgery was "why didn't I do this sooner!"  It's never too late as long as you are healthy and have an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Risk for Older Women for Implants?

+1

Same as a younger woman's risks. Research the complications of breast implant surgery and see if any might apply to you. Or see in person a boarded surgeon in your area. From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski

Older women and breast implants

+1

I would not specifically differentiate between older and younger people in terms of implants. But I would say as you get older, and if the tissues are thin you may be prone to more rippling.

Breast Augmentation Risks in Older Women

+1

There are no increased risks of implants in older women. The only possibility of increased risk is with the surgery if you have a medical condition that anesthesia could affect. If you are past menopause and not on hormone replacement therapy with no medical problems, your risks are actually less than a younger woman on birth control pills.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

If you are a healthy older woman than there are no additional risks of Breast Augmentation

+1

In these days of older women being much healthier than in past years, there are no real increased risks for an older woman to have breast augmentation. Here in Florida where we have more warm weather and bathing suites are more often worn, i have seen a good number of women over 60 and quite a few in their 70s. the oldest so far was 76, she and the others did great. 

With the older woman there is the possibility of the need for a breast lift which could be done at the same time as the augmentation.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast implants are not a risk to older women

+1

Regardless of age breast implants are a safe option in enlarging and enhancing the breast. There is no risk of breast disease, and even a history of breast cancer will not preclude an implant for reconstruction, or augmentation of the opposite breast for symmetry. We see patients regularly who are 'older', many have implants in place that have worn and need replacing. Patients wear breast implants into their 80's and beyond with few risks.

peterejohnsonmd