Does Risk of Necrosis Go Up if I Have a Tummy Tuck After Smartlipo?

Hi there. I had smartlipo 6 months ago. I deeply regret it because the tummy tuck would have been a better option. (I have severe diastasis and did not understand that at the time). That being said, I want to have a high lateral tension TT in the next 6 months. Because of the heat used in smartlipo, I am worried I will be at a greater risk of necrosis due to the heat damage to my blood vessels. I am 40, healthy, don't smoke. What is your advice?

Tummy Tuck after SmartLipo

+2

The effect of SmartLipo on the risks have probably been minimized one year after the laser liposuction procedure, however the tummy tuck may be technically more difficult for your surgeon.

Some tips:

• Choose a well experienced tummy tuck surgeon for your procedure.
  • If you are a smoker, quit at least 2 weeks before- and after your procedure
  • Focus on good nutrition (adequate protein intake) before and after your procedure
    • consult with your surgeon about vitamin supplements he/she recommends
    • avoid supplements that may cause thinning of the blood
  • Exercise your abdominal muscles to prepare them for the repair

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Complications of Tummy Tuck done AFTER a SmartLipo

+2

Regarding: "Does Risk of Necrosis Go Up if I Have a Tummy Tuck After Smartlipo?
Hi there. I had smartlipo 6 months ago. I deeply regret it because the tummy tuck would have been a better option. (I have severe diastasis and did not understand that at the time). That being said, I want to have a high lateral tension TT in the next 6 months. Because of the heat used in smartlipo, I am worried I will be at a greater risk of necrosis due to the heat damage to my blood vessels. I am 40, healthy, don't smoke. What is your advice
?"

Excellent question.

Necrosis, or death, is the reaction of living tissue to the lack of circulation carrying oxygen. In performing liposuction, suction is exerted on the fat under the skin pulling it into the tube. The process is done blindly and is associated with injury to some of the circulation of the overlying skin but it is not associated with skin death except in uncommon circumstances in which OTHER factors worsen circulation in the skin (Diabetes, severe vasculitis, severe pressure on the skin from tight garments, smoking etc).

(Not so) SmartLipo is essentially liposuction preceded by heating and cooking the fat under the skin before suctioning it. Unfortunately, the heating process that cooks the fat ALSO burns blood vessels ("Look, Ma, no bruising...") and burns sensory nerves ("Look, Ma, no pain...I have prolonged or patchy numbness, but no pain"). The extent of injury to the blood supply under the skin may be extensive that any further challenge to the circulation may result in skin death.

I would recommend you wait AT LEAST 8-12 months before having a tummy tuck. This allows blood vessels to re-invade the damaged areas and re-create a network supplying the overlying skin. (The Plastic Surgery terms for this is a COLLATERAL CIRCULATION). When you allow for the blood supply to re-form it would greatly lessen the chance of necrosis.  The scarring caused by the SmartLipo would make the Tummy Tuck more of a challenge than it would have been but the delay would decrease circulatory complications.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Risk of necrosis after a tummy tuck

+1

In our practice, we commonly perform liposuction with every tummy tuck. We feel that it is an essential modality to help sculpt the fat and create the result that our patients are looking for. All patients receiving a tummy tuck should understand the possible complications that exist with the surgery, including necrosis. To avoid these complications, it is essential that you work with a plastic surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is very experienced in abdominoplasty, liposuction, and body contouring surgery. Such a specialist will be able to evaluate you and use their experience and deep understanding of abdominal vascular anatomy to avoid areas that may increase the risk of necrosis and other complications during this combination procedure.

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) after failed.Smart Lipo

+1

After 6 months the tissues should be sufficiently relaxed to allow th performance of a tummy tuck. The skinsmay be somewhat thicker and the longer you wait the better it may be.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Tummy Tuck after Liposuction or Smart Lipo

+1

You may have your tummy tuck after liposuction (traditional or with laser).

I recommend waiting at least 6 months for the swelling and the scar healing from lipo to resolve.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Safety of abdominoplasty after liposuction

+1

You should not have any more risk for problems if you have an abdominoplasty 6 or more months after any type of liposuction. When you see your Board Certified plastic surgeon for the tummy tuck, make sure you explain what you had done so far. Your surgeon may want to wait until the skin has had a chance to soften up after the liposuction so that better abdominoplasty results can be achieved.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo, Tummy tuck

+1

Smart Lipo does cause burning with laser as well as scarring but this should not interfere with a tummy tuck. Smart lipo is done for excess fatty tissue and even though some studies have shown that you do get some skin contraction, this may not be the case, especially with a lot of excess skin. The only sure way of removing excess skin is by cutting it out with a tummy tuck. Watch my videos.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgery after having had smart lipo

+1

You should wait about one year after any liposuction procedure on your abdomen before you have a tummy tuck procedure in order to ensure the best blood supply.  This also allows time for the skin to shrink and soften up after the lipo/smartlipo procedure.  The tummy tuck may be slightly more difficult as the tissue will not have the same laxity as it once had, but you can certainly still have the surgery.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to having surgery.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Do risks of tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)go up after Smart Lipo?

+1

One of the many good things about Smart Lipo is that the major vasculature (and nerve supply) is spared by the laser.   Therefore, the risks of necrosis do not go up.

Risk of healing problems with atummy tuck after lipoafter

+1

Often lipo helps produce a better contour after the fatty layer has been reduced.  The secret is not to do extensive undermining of the skin-fat flap that will be left behind.  If a lot of lipo has been done, then wait for a mimium 6 months healing period before having the skin removed.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.