Is the Risk of Lumping Greater the More Fat You Have Removed?

I'm considering having smart lipo on my love handles and abs but i'm really afraid of the lumping people are complaining about. I'm pretty thin, i just want a little fat removed to have that more perfect core. I'm 5'11 and 155. I'm wondering if/hoping that the people that experience the worst results are the ones with the most fat to remove. It seems to me that the less fat you remove the more even the result would be. Any truth to that?

Yes and no. Thin people should do better, but it depends on the surgeon.

+2

While anything can happen to anybody, the truest of statements is that if you go to a good surgeon and are lean to begin or have larger body mass to begin, your results will be better ounce for ounce of fat removed.

The problem with large body mass individuals is that they can be uneven before (and after). 

The problem with lean folks is that there isn't all that much room for improvement and any imperfections show up more than in larger body mass individuals.

Having said that, your surgeon should definitely help you out and give you an informed opinion whether you are a candidate or not.  If they don't give you a good feeling when you have your consult, seek another one.  For reference, I turn away about 50% of people who come for liposuction consults.  Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologist

Lumpy after lipo??

+1

Lumpy skin can occur with any type of liposuction.  I'm seeing it more often in my practice these days as many non-plastic surgeons have decided to start doing all sorts of "new" liposuction.  They are calling themselves "cosmetic surgeons" and they are usually GYNs, internal medicine docs, family practice docs--anything but fully-trained plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  And they're doing laser-assisted liposuction, water-assisted liposuction, ultrasound-assisted liposuction (Smartlipo, Coollipo, SlimLipo--whatever catchy marketing name they've decided upon).  But it's ALL LIPOSUCTION! 

Your best result is going to come from an experienced surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery--do your homework carefully, look at before/after photos, meet with the surgeon, and don't be swayed by all the marketing hype that's out there. 

Lumpiness after smart liposuction

+1

There are a number of complaints seen on the internet about irregularities after Smart Liposuction but indentations can be seen after conventional liposuction as well. Possbily, since the media has driven both patients to doctors and doctors to obtain this device, the volume of liposuction has considerably increased in those who have had liposuction since its evolution. Maybe, because of this increased volume of patients having smart lipo, there are more reports but not a greater percent compared with conventional liposuction. I don't have the answer, but as it is a relatively new procedure, you may wish to consider having tumescent liposuction and avoiding the possibility that the laser energy may subject you to indentations from excessive fat melting if not done by an expert.

Risk of Lumping Greater the More Fat You Have Removed

+1

Kind of you are correct but there are ALWAYS exceptions. Try Smart Lipo by a real expert with a MPX unit only for better results and less risks. 

Lumpy after liposuction

+1

It is difficult to predict who will get more lumpiness after liposuction.  My guess is that the laser lipolysis machines may cause more lumpiness from the pure melting and lack of sculpting that is often involved.

Laser based liposuction devices more likely to leave you lumpy

+1

Hi there-

At its heart, the Smartlipo device (and others) uses a laser... These laser based devices are more likely to burn the skin, blood vessels, nerve, and connective tissue than other more established options.

My personal opinion is that liposuction should be one of the safest procedures responsible plastic surgeons do- with among the highest rates of satisfaction... And it generally was- until doctors who are not Board Certified Plastic Surgeons started offering liposuction (ER doctors, eye doctors, gynecologists...) and the companies that make these machines started selling them to anyone with enough money by making promises that could not be substantiated...

I think you have a good chance of achieving your goal- but spend your time and energy finding a good SURGEON first- and don't worry about what machine they use... Here's some more advice on this topic:

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2010/01/liposuction-devices-and-techniques-is.html#627