Is There a Risk of Lumpiness and Swelling with a Fat Graft with Lower Blepharoplasty?

I'm looking into lower bleph with fat transplant for hollow tear troughs under my eyes. Im concerned about fat looking baggy, lumpy or sticking out because I have pretty thin skin, and flat features. Is fat graft less risky than fat injections for this?

Risk of Eyelid Lumps Less With Surgical Composite Fat Grafting Than With Injection

+4

Thank you for your important question. Fat must be placed in the proper position beneath the eyelid muscle where it normally resides. Injection techniques often result in fat being placed beneath the eyelid skin and not beneath the muscle. The result is often visible lumps.

When a composite (whole) piece of fat is surgically implanted beneath the eyelid muscle into the proper position, visible lumps are less likely to occur in my experience.

Fat Grafting Select your doctor carefully

+1
There will always be a recovery period from fat grafting, even in the most experienced hands. However, you wan to be confident that you elect a plastic surgeon who will give you a very natural, beautiful and lasting result with fat grafting. Look at many, many before and after photos and take your time researching your doctor.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes there is.   It is something you must discuss with you doctor.  This can also happen when the exsisting fat pockets are repositioned.   Best to you

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and bumps following fat grafts, injection, or transfer to lower eyelid, tear trough, and cheek

+1

Clearly lumpiness and bumps is a concern with fat grafting to the lower eyelid and a variety of techniques and methods have been described to minimize this potentia with mixed results.

Fat for tear troughs with blepharoplasty

+1

If fat is placed above the muscle under your thin skin for the tear troughs, you may see it being lumpy. If it is below the muscle, you probably won't see lumpiness. There may be a difference between fat grafts and fat repositioning which is not a graft. The latter is a procedure where your surgeon will move back fat into areas while still connected to its blood supply. This is usually done underneath the muscle, I believe.

Ronald Shelton, MD