Lipoma Removal from Face - Risk of Facial Nerve Damage?

no pictures at present

Facial Lipoma

+2

Removal of a facial lipoma can put the facial nerve at risk.  However, this depends on the location and relation to the anatomy.  Please see a board certified facial plastic surgeon who is familiar with facial anatomy for the best results.  (S)he will use a nerve monitor to monitor the facial nerve during surgery.

Facial lipoma removal can place the facial nerve at risk

+2

The risk of facial nerve injury is very low if the operation is appropriately planned for and executed. Facial nerve monitoring can be set up to assist in identifying and preserving the facial nerve. Look for doctors with experience  in facial nerve work.

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD. New York Facial Plastic Surgeon. Co-Director, Facial Paralysis and Rehabilitation Center at the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary.

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipomas on the face

+1

Many lipomas on the face, aside from the forehead, are simply not lipomas but other types of facial tumors or cysts.  An experienced surgeon can usually tell the difference.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lipoma excision and risk of facial nerve damage

+1

With any facial procedure, I believe that there are risks of complications, including damage to the branches of the facial nerve.  But these are usually very superficial (near to the surface) and I think the risks of this complication are quite low.  My adviise--have the procedure done with little fear of this potential problem.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Risk of Permanent Facial Nerve Damage is Rare after Lipoma Removal

+1

Lipomas, by definition, are mobile and superficial masses, as a result of overgrowth of normal fat cells. The risk of PERMANENT facial nerve damage from lipoma removal is very low.

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon or ENT surgeon for the best result.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon