Problems, Risks, Drawbacks of Lasik Eye Surgery

Sir I am 22 years old and I have been wearing contact lense for last six years. I have heard about some serious drawbacks of lasik such as flap never heals, as a result which can be dislodged at any time even after long time of lasik operation. There could also be some permanent problem such as dry eyes as well as ectasia. More of such problem is given in www.lasikdisaster.com. I have also known that soon after the operation everything seems to be fine but in a long run there can incur some serious problem, which lead to potential eye damage.

LASIK risks

+1

Remember millions of patients have safely had LASIK, but there is no risk free surgery.  We are continually improving the surgery and surgical outcomes.

New York Ophthalmologist

Understanding Risks of LASIK

+1

LASIK is surgery.  all surgery by definition has a level of risk.  The key is to understand exactly what surgical procedure you are evaluating and pinpointing the current real risk.  LASIK has evolved, like many things in medicine, over the years.  We now know more about potential risks, patient selection, and use different safer technology than 10 years ago.  Websites such as you reference collect worst cases, most of them performed over a decade ago (check the dates on the posts).

Intralase custom lasik has a much lower incidence of flap complications, and a much higher rate of excellent vision.  My numbers currently are 98% 20/25 or better.  glare and halos worse than before surgery are rare, less than 1%.  Intralase flaps are much more stable and heal well.  In addition,  I am very selective on whom i perform LASIK.  Good patient selection improves the results and lowers the chances of problems either immediately after surgery or years later.  Current statistics confirm the very low chance of problems.  However, as i started out, it is surgery.  If you want no chance of complications, dont have surgery.  Simple.

Mark H. Blecher, MD
Philadelphia Ophthalmologist

Risks of LASIK

+1

LASIK is one of the most common elective procedures performed in the U.S. and worldwide.  In low to moderately nearsighted individuals, 98% achieve 20/20 or better uncorrected acuity.  As with any surgical procedure, risks of dryness, loss of best corrected vision is possible.  It is incumbent upon you to seek care from an eye doctor who specializes in this treatment along with other refractive surgeries, such as PRK, implantable collamer lenses.  Evaluation by a specialist of your candidacy is one of the most important steps along with realization that this is not a commodity, but a surgical procedure.  Excellent results can be achieved which lead to a wonderful change in your life!

Sandy Feldman, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist