Risk of Hernia Due to Diastasis Recti/belly Fat

I had a 9.6 lb baby 2.5 yrs ago, was 43 lbs over pre-baby wt for a long time; now lost 30lbs. I'm 5ft9 & currently 168lbs, aiming to loose 10 lb more. I have diastasis recti and still look 5 mths pregnant. I do not want to undergo a full tummy tuck;I am aiming to not look pregnant-nothing more- & am concerned about health. I'm considering an endoscopic diastasis repair. Would that help in lowering the risk of hernia? Are there any other health risks that would still exist after this repair?

You have it all wrong here...

+3

You have completely mis-analyzed this situation here.  Only a full tummy tuck will flatten your abdomen with significant rectus diastasis.  An endoscopic repair is really no less invasive and when the muscles are brought together, there will be a huge mound of extra skin piled up in the midline having been dragged in by the muscle repair.  Also, a diastasis doesn't predispose you to having a hernia, so if that was your concern, don't worry and do nothing.  But don't do the wrong thing, either have a full TT or nothing...

Short scar tummy tuck will help you.

+2

Hi.

I am afraid only a good tummy tuck will help you.

I don't know anyone who does endoscopic diastasis repairs anymore.

There is no risk of getting a hernia.

Endoscopic Tummy Muscle Tightening VS Full Tummy Tuck in a Woman looking 5 months Pregnant nearly 3 years AFTER having a Baby

+2

Regarding: "Risk of Hernia Due to Diastasis Recti/belly Fat
I had a 9.6 lb baby 2.5 yrs ago, was 43 lbs over pre-baby wt for a long time; now lost 30lbs. I'm 5ft9 & currently 168lbs, aiming to loose 10 lb more. I have diastasis recti and still look 5 mths pregnant. I do not want to undergo a full tummy tuck;I am aiming to not look pregnant-nothing more- & am concerned about health. I'm considering an endoscopic diastasis repair. Would that help in lowering the risk of hernia? Are there any other health risks that would still exist after this repair
?"

it is obvious you spent a considerable amount of time reading up on the topic but I am afraid you do not clearly understand the situation your body is in, your options and what each operation can produce.

Even if you were 7 foot tall, a 9.6 pound baby pregnancy, would PERMANENTLY stretch your abdominal muscles AND separate the 6 pack muscles (rectus muscle diastasis). In addition to both stretching and splitting the tummy muscle your pregnancy both stretched your tummy skin, producing much more of it AND split the skin, producing stretch marks.

Endoscopic Rectus muscle plication was briefly in vogue when it came out in 1994. It soon became apparent that it did NOT produce attractive results except in a very, very small group of women in which many of us would argue ANY surgical intervention may have been needed. It CERTAINLY is NOT indicated in someone who permanently looks 5 months pregnant.

There is NO doubt in my mind that you would do a lot better with a well executed FULL Tummy Tuck. The operation is NOT more dangerous than an endoscopic rectus muscle tightening and is vastly superior in its result.

You may want to check one of my feed-backs on RealSelf by one of my favorite patients who was in your condition. Months after the birth of her baby, strangers would ask her when she was due!

Good Luck

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tummy Tuck for Muscle / Diastasis repair and belly fat

+2

It sounds like you have muscle weakness with diastasis plus excess skin and fat. Both problems can be fixed with tummy tuck. The majpority of patients in your situation would undergo a full tummy tuck. If you under repair of the diastasis without skin excision, you will not be satisfied with your outcome.

I recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and recommend a treatment option.

Muscle repair alone is not likely going to look great....

+2

I would ask your surgeon to see before and after pictures of similar patients who have lost as much weight as you have and only have their muscles repaired.  You likely have a significant skin excess and this procedure alone is unlikely to give you the appearance you are looking for.

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis repair

+2

If you only have muscle weakness and no skin laxity I suppose this is possible. But the majority of patients need more than the muscle tightening.

Go for the traditional tummy tuck

+1
Good idea to optimize your weight prior to surgery, then see a plastic surgeon to determine best procedure for you. Endoscopic repair is usually only for minimal skin excess, otherwise no advantage. Diastasis is not a true hernia and the repair should hold up equally well with either type of repair.

Web reference: http://www.drlevens.com

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Risk of hernia due to diastasis

+1

Thanks for the question.

Given your history I would recommend a traditional tummy tuck. I am concerned you will be unsatisfied with an endoscopic diastasis repair as it tends to cause midline skin bunching, especially if there is a considerable diastasis as it sounds to be the case with you. An endoscopic diastasis repair is not intended to reduce the risk of hernia development. My suggestion is consulting with several plastic surgeons in your region and reviewing all options, risks and benefits.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

The endocorporeal or laparacopic diastasis recti repair (Avoding a full tummy tuck)

+1

The endocorporeal or laparacopic diastasis repair is not intended to prevent hernia formation. IT is only a minimal scar technique and is not adviseable in your case for the reasons you have indicated because it could actually lead to a higher risk adhesions or other complications.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Get a full tummy tuck for your diastasis for best appearance.

+1

If you have a significant diastasis, you need a full tummy tuck to do the right job. You could just fix the diastasis endoscopically, but you will be unhappy with the bunching and irregularity of your abdominal wall.

Do it right and get a full tummy tuck.