Risk of Filler Injection for Causing Blindness? (photo)

I have a depressed scar on my temple area which is about 1x2cm^2. It is shallow, i'd say <0.4mm, but it's obvious in certain lightings. I considered the autologous cultured fibroblast injection as i heard it is relatively safe. However, I recently came across reports which states that there were patients who lost eyesight as a result of filler injection. While knowing those are rare cases, I'd still like to know how likely it is to occur in my case, based on the scar location and depth.(scared)

Side effects from injections of fillers

+1

Yes there have been reports of catastrophic issues of vessel occlusion and blindness from injectable fillers.  This has usually occured due to inappropriate placement of various fillers, so select your injector carefully.   For you I would be more likely to suggest scar revision using the Sciton Profractional Laser which virtually can remove soft acne scars with a series of treatments spaced about a month apart.  Works better and gives better results than injectables for scars.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Injections and Blindness

+1

Hi Lasty.  We would recommend something completely different for you.   Because of the sharp edges in the picture, we would instead recommend fractional laser resurfacing and we would use the Sciton Profractional.  Sorry we did not answer your question, but we would not be doing injections for this type of scar.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/scars.aspx