Exercise Risky After Wrinkle Filler Injection?

Is there  any risk of being highly active (as in running) after fillers are injected?  I am a runner and fear that if I use a filler it will sag and "drop" beneath the skin due to running or other physical activity.

Running and Injectable Fillers

+3

Thanks for the question -

It would be unusual for an injectable filler to migrate from its location on the face secondary to running. The more common (but still very unusual) complication would be additional bruising or bleeding and that would likely not be much of an issue after about 24-48 hours.

Products that thin the blood can increase this risk as Dr. Persky has pointed out.

Exercise After Filler Injections

+3

Hi Sally,

Patients should wait about 48 hours after filler injections before vigorously exercising unless they don't mind the possibility of noticeable bruising. That is especially true if there has been any aspirin, Motrin, or Advil taken in the previous week.

I have had a few women patients who left the office without any bruises, but couldn't wait to get back to Barry's Bootcamp that day or the next morning. They developed delayed bruises. The rest will do your body good.

Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

It is okay to exercise after fillers

+3

Sally,

It is fine to exercise and run after having dermal fillers. After the filler is injected, it will not move within your skin. My only precaution would be to avoid exercise the day of treatment to avoid raising your blood pressure - the only harm would be possibly potentiating the temporary swelling and bruising that you may experience after your injections. Good luck with your fillers.

David Shafer, MD

David Shafer, MD

Exercise is fine... don't worry about it

+3

Our only recommendation is to minimize exercise for 24 hours after Botox or filler. The real reason is that exercise causes an increase in blood flow and and result in some swelling to the treated areas. The same is true for alcohol use 24 hours after the procedure. After 24 hours, it is fine to exercise.

Running will NOT alter the position of the filler. Feel free to run as much as you'd like. Avoid any facial massage for 48 hours after the procedure.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Facial Fillers and Exercise: Post Facial Filler instructions

+2

Facial fillers redefine deep folds and facial atrophy. In order to acheive improvement in the face, I use a very meticulous technique to place the product in an intradermal plane where it is stabilized by surrounding intradermal collagen fibers.

If placed in the right tissue plane, the filler will remain stable in the patient, despite postoperative activity.

Make sure you seek a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and management of the face for surgery vs. non-invasive procedures. Plastic surgery remains an important part of facial rejuvenation and only plastic surgeons are capable of performing surgery and non-invasive procedures.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Running and fillers

+2

Injection of any substance is a slightly traumatic event, involving a needle hole and a passage of a needle through tissues containing blood vessels. Patients concerned with the very small chance of late bruising should not exercise vigorously for a day or two. However, late bruising is truly rare, even in patients who exercise immediately.

Immediate bruising is worsened by intake of aspirin or nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications, or in patients on steroids.

We have noticed in our practice that in very athletic patients, fillers seem to be metabolized more quickly, sometimes much more quickly. Conversely, they seem to last much longer in very sedentary and older patients. Perhaps this is due to the increased blood flow patients experience during their exercise regimens.

Many of our athletic patients eventually opt for more permanent means of filling hollow areas such as fat injection or LiveFill (nontraumatized fascial fat grafts). Increased blood flow is actually beneficial for the biologic incorporation of living grafts, not a detriment.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Enjoy your filler and quality of life!

+2

I agree with the other physicians and their posted comments. We typically inform our patients to avoid strenuous exercise for 24-72 hours depending upon the amount of filler used, age of the patient, and quality of their skin and soft tissue. But afterwards, we want you to enjoy your new look and quality of life. The longevity and duration of the filler is not going to be affected by exercise.

I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Hold off for 24 hours

+1
There are no studies that have investigated this point. It is more of a concern that you might induce more bruising or swelling by exercising in the first twenty-four hours after some fillers, and even more after others such as Sculptra.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Exercise should not jeopardize your health or the filler material after filler injections.

+1

That being said, most physicians recommend holding off on vigorous exercise (and alcohol) for the 6-24 hours following a filler procedure.

It is more important to avoid unnecessary manipulation of the injected areas, as most of the filler materials are very moldable and can be "pushed" to a less desirable location in the skin.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

It's unanimous.

+1

After fillers, go have fun with exercise. The big problem is with deep massage for the first 48 hours. After which time, some doctors advise massage to smooth any irregularities.

Robert M. Freund, MD