Will Juvederm Lip Enhancement Create Lines Around Mouth?

Is There a Risk of Creating Lines Around the Mouth After a Lip Enhancement with Juvederm Once the 'Fuller' Effect Wears Off? I'm 49, no lines around the mouth yet but fairly 'loose' skin

No, once it wears off you will go back to baseline

+2

Once the Juvederm wears off you will return to the way you were before the treatment.  It will not 'create' new wrinkles as you suggest.  If anything

Juvederm Enhancement

+2

No, you should not have lines caused by juvederm enhancement. However you will see the old lines come back that were present before the juvederm enhancement. If you have no lines at present do not worry. However my suggestion is to not overdo the juvederm which looks best when understated.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

What happens after the effects of Juvederm in lips wears off?

+2

Once the Juvederm dissolves, which takes approximately 9 months to a year, your lips should go back to normal.  Don't forget though that the aging process continues and the normal that would be one year from now is not what it is at the present. 

Some changes do happen, particularly if there is continued exposure to ultraviolet light or smoking.  So protecting your skin from the sun and not smoking will help prevent onset of further aging changes, as 80% of aging changes we recognize on the skin are due to sun exposure.

Also, if there is a large amount of weight lost, it may create additional lines around the mouth and general looseness of the skin.

However, barring all those, your lips should go back to normal after the Juvederm dissolves.  When it dissolves, it does so gradually.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Will Juvederm Create Lines Around Mouth?

+2

Juvederm augmentation  will not promote lip lines as the material dissolves. In fact it will delay the formation of these lines caused by the normal aging process.

After Juvederm wears off

+2

Greetings Eimel~

The great news about Juvederm and other tissue fillers is that they don't create more lines or make you look deflated after they wear off. In fact, the opposite can be true... The injections themselves may stimulate some of your own collagen as well as help slow down the process that created the lines to begin with.  Juvederm is great to replace lost volume around the lips and mouth where you feel the skin is getting loose and it may not have the fullness it once did.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD

Juvederm can Prevent Lines from Forming Around the Mouth for Years after the Treatment

+2

I have been injecting lips for over 25 years to replace or increase lip volume as well as to erase wrinkle lines. The question of whether or not these treatments will increase the risk of worsening of the lines after the filler has worn off has come up frequently. In my experience, the opposite has been the case. Lips can be beautifully enhanced and wrinkles made to disappear using the new hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane which give a completely natural look. These fillers can also stimulate the production of your own collagen which can give an even longer lasting result. After all of these years, I have never seen an instance where I felt that the treatment made things worse after it wore off. Quite to the contrary, I feel that lip fillers not only eliminate lip lines but will also prevent new ones from forming. Eventually, when all of the filler is gone, I believe you will still be much improved and will be better off than if you had no treatments at all.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lines around the mouth and juvederm

+2

Eimel,

As we age the loss of both muscle tone and skin (dermal) thickness is what assists in the production of visible wrinkling.  The use of fillers, such as Juvederm, allows us to "fill" these defects and decrease the poor aesthetic appearance of these wrinkles.  Juvederm does not cause an increase in the visibilty of these wrinkles (the opposite should occur) or an increase in the incidence of these wrinkles.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Juvederm for Lip Enhancement

+2

Juvederm injection for lip enhancement should last 4-5 months based on some published studies. When the Juvederm has completely disappeared,  your lips should return to their pretreatment state, and possibly looking even better then before because of some collagen production in the interim.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in lips

+2

Juvederm stimulates your body's own collagen production in the area it is injected.  This can help ward off lip lines even beyond the time when the Juvederm dissipates.  If enhancing the red part of the lip makes you feel like some of the upper lip vertical lines are more obvious, make sure the physician injecting also enhances the skin around the lip with the Juvederm to minimize lines.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Creating lines around the mouth after Juvederm.

+2

Creating lines around the mouth after Juvederm is NOT going to happen from the injection. However, you will continue to age under the Juvederm and one day when it wears off you will have natural aging lines.