Am I at risk of becoming blind from my rhinoplasty and septoplasty procedures?

I am having my broken nose fixed. I have tried straightening my septom on my own a couple of times and i remember it hurt my eyes and made them water, also I am worried about how much the operation will affect my eyes given that two black eyes occur following it? I really do not want to become blind

Vision

+1
If you see a qualified surgeon, your concerns should not be an issue. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Risk of blindness from a rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+1
The risk of blindness from a rhinoplasty and septoplasty is extremely remote. The bruising and swelling  from the nasal surgery is created by medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones. Expect your occur process to last approximately 2 weeks. For more information, see the link below

Of course

+1
Grant,

The short answer to your question is yes, you are at risk for blindness.  Let's face it, you are at risk of dying.  Too many patients are lulled into thinking that there are no risks to having surgery and are surprised when they have a complication.  The risks may be 1 in 175,000,000 like the last $600 million Power Ball lottery, but somebody won it.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

You are not likely to go blind after a rhinoplasty and septoplasty.

+1
The risk of blindness after rhinoplasty and septoplasty is extraordinarily small.  You will more than likely have swelling around your nose and eyes and may even be so swollen than your eyelids may shut.  

Good Luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

+1
The short answer is no. Black eyes usually from cutting the nasal bones during surgery which is a maneuver required to straighten the nose. Blindness is rare after any facial surgery, exceedingly so after rhinoplasty. FInd a rhinoplasty expert for further discussion specific to the surgery that you will need. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and complications

+1
Rhinoplasty surgery fortunately is very safe and rare to have complications other than minor irregularities or requirement for revision.  Good luck.

Safe operation

+1
When performed by a qualified rhinoplasty specialist, the risks you are concerned about are rare.  Black eyes do occur but resolve over a few weeks time. 

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
The answer to your question is no.  You are not at risk of becoming blind from nasal surgery.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience to discuss your concerns and expectations.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD