Is Rippling in a Silicone Implant Dangerous if Wanting to Get Pregnant?

I had my breast surgery April 2010 and now have lots of rippling in one breast. I want to now try to get pregnant and am worried that it is dangerous for the baby or pregnancy. Is the rippling dangerous?

Rippling of silicone breast implant is not a contraindication to breast feeding

+1

The rippling itself is not dangerous. However the most common cause of implant rupture is due to crease fold failuure which may be increased with rippling. I would recommend obtaining regular follow up wiht your surgeon and an MRI at 3 years or sooner if indicated. However, I do not see a contra-indication to nursing.

Rippled breast implants and pregnancy

+1

Not an issue; as my colleagues have said, it is a question of thin tissues showing the implant rippling underneath.  Depending on how much your breasts swell with the pregnancy and afterwards, and if you breast feed and for how long,  how much weight you gain or lose, you may find that rippling is more noticeable after pregnancy and when all the pregnancy changes are resolved.  Again, this is not a safety issue but a cosmetic one, our bodies change with each decade and with what we go through, so enjoy your pregnancy and your children.  If you do breast feed, be careful about mastitis, it can be hard to get rid of infection if the implants themselves are involved. 

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Breast Implant Rippling Has No Relation To Pregnancy

+1

Breast implant rippling is not related to pregnancy and has no ill effects on the baby. All implants have ripples. The thinner you are and the less breast tissue that you have the greater the chance of seeing or felling ripples.

Silicone ripples less than saline. If you imagine one baggy filled with Jello and one filled with water, the baggy with water will have more ripples and folds than the one filled with Jello. The silicone filling material has the consistency of Jello.

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rippling of an implant is NOT dangerous.

+1

Rippling from an implant is not dangerous. It can be seen when the overlying soft tissue is thin and the folding of the implant becomes apparent. It should not affect your pregnancy.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rippling and pregnancy

+1

Rippling of your implants happens when you are very thin, it should have no impact on your pregnancy.

Rippling of Silicone Implant Should Not Interfere with Pregnancy

+1

The presence of your silicone breast implants (with or without rippling) should present no problems if you become pregnant.  Bear in mind that the FDA would not have allowed silicone implants to return to the marketplace if they had any concerns about the effect on pregnancy.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Implant Rippling does NOT Impact Pregnancy

+1

Regarding:  "Is Rippling in a Silicone Implant Dangerous if Wanting to Get Pregnant?
I had my breast surgery April 2010 and now have lots of rippling in one breast. I want to now try to get pregnant and am worried that it is dangerous for the baby or pregnancy. Is the rippling dangerous
?"

All breast implants ripple when placed on their sides - saline filled more than gel filled. THAT is the reasons many surgeons prefer to put implants under the pectoralis major muscle - to provide as much soft tissue coverage to hide the rippling.

Such rippling has NO clinical significance and will NOT impact pregnancy.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Silicone Implant Rippling

+1

Rippling is not a dangerous issue other than there is a higher likelihood that the implant will develop fold flaw and a leak in the shell.  As far as the new silicone implants, a leak does not usually translate to free flowing silicone, since the silicone gel is more cohesive.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

A silicone implant ripple will not harm pregnancy

+1

You should be in no risk if you have developed a ripple in your silicone gel breast implant and it will not upset your pregnancy. Your question is interesting in that many don't realise that a silicone gel implant can indeed develop a ripple, as a saline implant might. Massage may help and your pregnancy will be safe.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast implant rippling is not a medical problem

+1

Without knowing more it is of course hard to coment on your case specifically, but in general rippling is more of an issue with appearnce than any medical problem per se. In the long run, rippling may contribute to a breakdown in the shell, but the gel inside is a semisolid so it doesn't leak, at least not in the way we usually use that word. There have been numerous studies attesting to the safety of silicone gel so you should not worry about effects on your pregnancy.

Richard Baxter, MD