Is Rippling Normal 1 Month After Breast Augmentation?

I am 1 month post op and went on my first run two days ago. That night I was very sore, esp my left breast. Upon bending over I realized I could feel ripples on the under side of my left breast. They are not there when standing straight up, just if I am leaning forward. I am 5'2, 120lbs. My saline implants are filled 315L and 330R. I am just worried if this is common so soon after, and will it get worse? I believe I can feel small ripples on my right as well. Can someone please give me advice?

Rippling with Saline Breast Implants

+1

Ripples are a common issue with saline implants, especially in thin women.  It is for this reason that I routinely recommend silicone implants for nearly all patients - especially thin ones with little breast tissue.  This is not a "complication" but a limitation with saline implants.  This becomes evident primarily in thin patients with little overlying soft tissue to "hide" the intrinsic flaws of a saline implant.  This can happen with silicone as well, but it is much less common.

As an active woman, it is likely that you will continue to have issues with this as the swelling resolves over the next 1-2 months. This will also be more apparent if you lose additional breast volume.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Ripples on implants

+1

Overfilled implants tend to have less ripples than underfilled implants. This is all relative and it is likely that you are feeling more on the left because it is relatively less filled. It could become worse if your breast becomes more ptotic or you lose breast volume.