This Can't Be Right? Tummy Tuck is Not Flat? (photo)

From the very beginning my TT has been a-symetric. It;s now been 4 weeks and i have this big bulge that's more on my left side. I'm so sad that my side view isn't flat! The incision is a full inch lower on my left side, too. Have you seen this at your practice and would you fix this if I were your patient?

Symmetry can be achieved

+1

Thank you for the photos.  Symmetry can be achieved.  I am not certain what was done during your tummy tuck procedure and how your recovery proceeded, but whatever the source of the bulge rest assured that it can be corrected.  The bulge can be excess fat, seroma/hematoma, or bulge from the abdominal wall although this last one is less likely,

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Hello

+1

Thank you for the pictures, it takes 6-9 months for all swelling to subside and for you to see final results. 4 weeks post-surgery it is still too soon to see a flat tummy. Give your body time to heal.

4 weeks after a tummy tuck is still a little early to judge your results

+1

Tummy tucks take from 6 weeks to 3 months for results to take shape.  Early within the postoperative healing period, there can be swelling of tissue and also bloating of the internal abdominal structures such as the colon and small bowels from slowing of the gut from narcotic pain medications. 

Typically, after about 3 months, all of these issues tend to settle out.  So, at the end of that period, if you are still having issues with the bulging, I would bring it up with your surgeon.  There are things that can be done to further tighten your muscles inside.  But, typically 6 months to a year should pass before any revisions to make sure that the inflammation from your first surgery is complete.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

4 Weeks After A Tummy Tuck - Is My Swelling Normal?

+1

The asymmetric bulge over your suture line 4 weeks after an abdominoplasty is quite unusual and would normally indicate a seroma or hematoma.  Since there is no apparent bruising, I would eliminate hematoma as a possibility .  Could you have asymmetric fat greater on the left than the right?  It is always possible, but I doubt it.  Could there be a large rip in the muscle creating a large one sided hernia?  Kinda doubt that too.  Therefore, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably a seroma. 

I would certainly do a diagnostic tap or drainage of this area to see if, in fact, it is a seroma.  In the alternative, ultrasound or CT scan may be useful in diagnosing the problem.  If you were my patient, I would definitely try to figure out and treat the problem.   

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon