Is it right to charge several thousand dollars for a BA revision 4 months after the original?

The revision is being done for MAJOR ripples, not the right SIZE per sizing from saline to silicone, and very weird shaped implants. Bad, bad results. The doctor is willing to give me a "break" on the surgery (my self esteem has gone downhill in 4 months, I am embarrased to look at this things in me, and i have been depressed since the surgery). Is this ethical? fair? professional? Thank you.

+2
I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with the results of the breast surgery.  Policy regarding coverage of expenses for revisionary surgery will vary from office to office and probably on a case-by-case basis as well. Costs of revisionary surgery may range from zero,  to anesthesia/surgery center fees, to discounted surgeon's fees.

Generally, successful plastic surgeons rely on positive word-of-mouth and will work hard to maintain satisfied patients.  Also, generally speaking, I suggest patients communicate their concerns in a calm and constructive fashion; this form communication tends to be much more effective than confrontational communication.

Best wishes; hopefully through courteous/respectful communication you and your plastic surgeon will be able to work out a plan to achieve your goals.

Breast implant revision in Los Angeles

+1
Coverage for revisions varies from individual practice to individual practice. Keep in mind that there are fixed costs with anesthesia and breast implants. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cost for revision

+1
If the doctor is using new implants and they are silicon, the cost can be $1500 for the implants alone and there may be a charge for an anesthesia person so $2000 may seem right.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Charging for revisional surgery

+1
Everyone has his or her own policies on revision.  In my practice, if I am dissatisfied with the result, I do not charge for the revision but the patient is responsible for the anesthesia and facility fees.  Unfortunately, your surgery would involve substitution of silicone implants, which cost about $2000 a pair; this is not covered by the manufacturer in the absence of a proven defect.  Sorry to hear about your problems.  I hope that your surgeon was board certified in plastic and reconstructive surgery as so much cosmetic surgery is being performed by doctors who are trained in other areas.

Robert L. Kraft, MD