Right Calf Smaller then Left. Options? (photo)

Hi. My right calf is about .5 inch smaller then the left due to nerve damage from spinal surgery when I was 5. I suffered some nerve damage to the right leg, and the lower shin area shrank right after the surgery. Is there an affordable option to fill out the right calf so it looks the same as the left? Actually, the upper legs look disproprtionate from the lower legs, both. I could never wear shorts or short skirts because I am way to self-conscious of my legs. I hear calf implants r expensive

Small calf: #calfimplants versus fat transfer?

+2

Calf Augmentation is one of my specialties.  I've worked with several patients with uneven calves.  Some are from poliomyelitis, some from club-foot surgery, some were just born that way.  Options include reducing the larger one with liposuction, another options would be to enlarge the other one, with a calf implant.  Many patients get a combination of those options for optimal results.  Fat grafting is a poor option as a lot if fat is required and a lot will reabsorb due to ambulation and movement.  Most fat grafting procedure require repeat procedures.
Calf implants:  We have many options of shapes and sizes in Canada and the size I pick is normally dictated by your leg anatomy.  We can insert one of 2 implants depending on your anatomy and your post-op compliance as 2 implants in one leg during the same procedure has higher risks.
A calf implant is made of solid yet soft silicone material (gummy-bear type i.e. not a gel hence no possibility of leakage).
The implants are inserted via a small single incision within the crease behind the knees, therefore, easily camouflaged once healed.
The implant is placed under the fascia of the original calf (gastrocnemius) muscle, blunting all edges of the implant so it looks smooth and natural.

See the video I posted about body implants.  Hope this helps!

Dr. Marc DuPéré, Board-Certified Toronto Plastic Surgeon, in practice for almost 12 years.

Treatment of asymmetric calves

+1
Thank you for your calf implant question.
  • It needs a face-to-face exam to give you specific advice, based on careful measurements.
  • Most likely you will need a combination of liposuction and calf implants.
  • When the muscle has shrunk, often it is best to do one implant first.
  • Recovery takes about 2 weeks before you can walk comfortably again.
  • There are new soft calf implants that look and feel very natural, designed with women in mind. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Right Calf Smaller then Left. Options?

+1

I think calf implants can be a reasonable option in this setting. They may cost $7000 or so.

Calf asymmetry

+1

Dear Anita,

Your best bet is calf implants.  Fat injection might require multiple sessions of injections and the fat might disappear completely or almost completely.  Calf implants , once inserted will remain for life. You will need one or two implants on your right leg, depends on your exam. An incision is made in a natural crease of your posterior knee and the implants are placed in a pocket  under the fascia. The implants are made of soft silicone that have a natural feel. As far as the cost, when it's all said and done, implants might be less expensive than the multiple fat injections, but most importantly, they will not disapper.

Make sure to select a board certified plastic surgeo who is experienced with calf augmentation.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Small calf

+1

Small calf can be improved with fat transfer. You may require more than one session to achieve near symmetry.