Right Breast Still High 6 Months After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I am concerned I am having a complication 6 months post op. I received 350cc submuscular anatomical textured silicone implants, increasing my cup size from a 34B to a 32DD. I have an excellent plastic surgeon and followed up last week at the 6 month checkpoint. He is not concerned as he believes the implant is just taking longer to drop into place. Is it common for anatomical implants to take longer to drop? Can I do anything to encourage progress? How do I know if/when I need a revision?

Breast augmentation

+2

The right implant is clearly higher. Presumedly the pocket created is "snug" as these are shaped implants. Coupled with the fact that the surface is textuted, it is unlikely they will drop. Furthermore, the usual post-operative displacement "exercises" are not recommended. It appears that a capsulotomy is in order. Best of luck.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation result will not change after 6 months.

+1

Hi.

Your right implant pocket is a little high and your left implant pocket is a little low.  This happens to the best of us.  A revision will fix it.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breasts are still high after 6 months

+1

Unfortunately, it's doubtful at 6 months post-op with textured implants that they will drop any more than they already have.  It sounds like you have a very good relationship with your surgeon, so you may want to ask him about what options you have to help them drop such as wearing a breast band or massaging.  You may have to consider revisionary surgery if nothing has changed in a year or so, but keep in touch with your surgeon so they can take photos and track your progress.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry breasts

+1

You have a good relationship with your ps and this is critical when you are faced with this problem.    Your implants will not change position for at least two reasons.  First, you have textured implants and they will not move after this length of time.  There is nothing you can do other than revision to correct this issue.  Discuss it at length with your ps and in my opinion, you can certainly do the corrective surgery now.  You might have a capsule that is raising your right breast but in all cases, the right inframmary crease on the right needs to be lowered to match the left crease.  It seems that you have a contour curve under your left breast that would indicate that your ps may have dropped the left crease.  The combination of these issues, ie capsular contracture on the right and the IMC on the left being dropped, would explain your result.  The corrective process for your case is not difficult.   Get the time frame from your ps that he/she feels would be appropriate to correct this problem.  You will need it for sure and in my practice, I would do it nowadays.  Enough time has passed.  We all have problems like this when you do a great deal of breast surgery and I find that correcting it is the best way to get back on track.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Right Breast Still High 6 Months After Breast Augmentation?

+1

A before posted photo would have been very helpful. I assume you had pre operative asymmetry, thus if you magnify the volume/size of the asymmetric breasts the result is a more noticed difference. Plus using textured implants causes them to become "fixed" in position by 8 months. Solutions could be a donut lift on the left or a full internal capsular release with a donut lifting. Best to obtain in person opinions. 

Implant Position at Six Months

+1

It is unlikely that your implants will drop after six months.  However, it is still too early to consider correctional surgery.  As a general rule, textured implants are less likely to settle at this point than smooth ones.  Also, a capsule may have formed too tight and is not allowing the implants to drop.  Singular is a good option at this point.  Continue to massage and try a breast band.  At a year, if no change, consider another operation.  Good luck.

Martin O'Toole, MD

6 month high implant

+1

Hi

Pre-op photos will help but the reality is that at 6months the right side will not drop.

You are lucky that you have a great surgeon and by the sounds of things you get along with him and have had an open discussion about the problem which he acknowledges.

Trust his opinion and assessment and I am sure if it doesn't settle he will rectify the issue for you.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

High Breast Implamt

+1

You may have a capsule on the high side and this may resolve or not.   Singulair is useful and I have had good results.   You may drop and then again you may not. Do not do any surgery now but you may need surgery at one year.  Breast bands with a swing over the high side to help force it down will help.  Massage may help.  Sleeping on the high side may help.  Taking Vit E 400 u daily may help.  Check out the UCLA article on Singular on the internet.   Advil is anti inflammatory and taking two 3x a day with food may help.  Do this for a month daily.   These are things I employ when this happens and it happens to all of us doing breast surgery.  You will be fine and at the worst you may need a little simple surgery help.  Good luck.  My beat,   Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Textured implants

+1

Textured implants do not usually change position too much. Your implant after 6 months it still high and probably needs to be brought down more.  Important to also review pre-op photos.

Doubt it will drop

+1

It would be unusual for a textured anatomic implant to drop any further after 6 months. The swelling and muscle spasm should be resolved and there is most likely significant tissue ingrowth by now. My guess from your pictures is that you either have CC, unreleased muscle on the right or a pre-existing fold asymmetry that relapsed or is under corrected. (It looks like your left side was lowered successfully based on a hint of your pre-existing breast fold in the arms down frontal picture). Your surgeon was right to wait, but at 6 months I think that many surgeons would begin to consider a revision.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD