Will Ridges Underneath Breasts Go Away After Breast Reduction?

I had BR surgery (lollipop method) on April 10 and I love the results and have had minimal discomfort. At my post-op appointment 8 days after surgery they showed me how to tape underneath my breasts to flatten the ridges/bump that had/might still form- standard procedure. Under one breast, there is a ridge- will the tape fix that or are these ridges pretty permanent? Is there anything else I can do to avoid getting them and flatten out the one that is already there? Thank you for your help.

Scarring after Breast Reduction?

+2

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction surgery recently. It tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, it is likely that the “ridges” you describe are related to scar tissue. You will find that the firmness in the  areas that you describe will soften during the first year after the procedure.  The ridge/bump  present at the bottom of the breasts after vertical breast reduction surgery generally smoothens  out nicely;   occasionally, revisionary surgery may be necessary a year down the line.

Ridges after breast reduction

+2
I believe that what you are describing is a scar going through its inflammatory process, which will hit its peak, generally, at 6-8 weeks post-op and then begin to settle down. You should continue to followup with your plastic surgeon and, if he believes that the scar is becoming hypertrophic, to comply with any recommendations as to scar treatment, including silicone sheeting or tape.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Ridges underneath breast

+1

It is difficult to comment on ridges without seeing at least photos. If it is along the incision,  often these improve with time.