Can i ride a motorcycle if i had ear otoplasty done? Will the tightness of the helmet mess up my ears?

I just wanted to know if any one whose had ear otoplasty rides a motorcycle, and if the motorcycle helmet affects your ears in any way. I had the procedure done a 5 months ago and i want to buy a motorcycle but ive heard that the helmets are tight on your head for safety reasons and i don't want it to mess up my ears.

Otoplasty and motorcycle helmets

+2
Since you are 5 months post-op, using a helmet should not change your results.  Certainly if you can pull it off without pulling your ears forward, it would be better but its something you shouldn't have to worry about at this point.

+2
You can wear a helmet, regardless of whether you were operated on with a traditional method or with the stitch method. The helmet should just not fit so tightly over the ear that it causes pain.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

+2
Erik:

You can wear a helmet after an otoplasty.  The helmet will not alter the appearance of the otoplasty.

John F. Reinisch, MD

Riding a Motorcycle After Otoplasty

+1
It usually takes about three months to fully heal from an otoplasty surgery. Since you had your surgery over seven months ago, I would say it's completely safe to wear a helmet without worrying about adverse affects to your ears.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

HELMET USE FOLLOWING OTOPLASTY

+1
At 5 months, there is little concern for gentle trauma to the ears with helmet use.  I typically recommend not wearing a helmet following otoplasty surgery for 2-4 weeks.  Sometimes, with pediatric patients, we tend to be a little more conservative for fear of sheering injuries.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon