How to Get Rid of the Duck Bill Look After Hyaluronic Acid Lip Augmentation?

Two and a half years ago I had lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid. A month after the procedure my lip was huge and unpleasant and I asked my doctor if it's possible to dissolve it. He said it's a better option to wait for 6 months, otherwise he needs to make an incision. It's been more than 2 years since and I still have the unpleasant Duck Bill look even though it's a bit smaller. It doesn't seem normal for the hyaluronic acid to last that long. Please advise what could be the reason.

Filler in lip after two years.

+2

It is a bit unusual for hyaluronic acid fillers to last more than a year in the lip. Are you sure that is what was injected?  It is best to ask your doctor.

How to get rid of hyaluronic acid lip augmentation

+2

I would agree with you that a hyaluronic acid filler should be gone by two years.  In fact, in the lips it should be gone by less than one year.  I would ask your injector the name of the filler that was used in your lips, as your results do not sound typical for a hyaluronic acid filler.  Also, if it was a hyaluronic acid filler, it could be easily dissolved with a medicine called hyaluronidase.  It would not need to be removed with an incision.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duckbill look after HA filler

+2

Are you sure you had HA filler only? That's the first question. While it can last longer on some people, this is quite a long time for only an HA filler and especially in the lip area. I would first clarify exactly what product was used and the amount. Then visit a board-certified injector with a great deal of filler experience. Assuming it's an HA filler, injecting a bit of hyaluronidase into the area will dissolve the HA itself and nothing else. There is absolutely no reason you'd need an incision if it's just HA filler - hyaluronidase dissolves it, and it's just an injection.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Hyaluronic Acid Two Years Later

+1

Two years is not typical for hyaluronic acid fillers to last, especially in the lips. Hyaluronic acids typically last 6-9 months in the lips, so it may have been a different filler. I recommend finding out exactly what was used and how much. If in fact it is hyaluronic acid, it can be dissolved with an injection called hyaluronidase, and there is no reason to cut the lip open.  “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon