Getting Rid of the Dried Blood in my Nose, So It Doesnt Effect the Shape of my Nose, After Open Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I had open rhinoplasty done on the 22/07/2013. My cast was taken off the 29/07/203, i have alot of dried blood in my nose, I have tried the nasal spray and using q-tips. The dried blood is blocking my nose alot and causing alot of discomfort. The dried blood is quite solid and doesnt seem to be breaking down, i am worried that the dried blood will effect the shape of my nose. Thank you

May need to have the nose cleaned your plastic surgeon

+1

It seems you have tried all of the usually methods.  You may need to be seen by your plastic surgeon to see if there is a dried mucus plug or blood that is obstructing your breathing passages. 

Dried blood

+1

See your surgeon to remove any debri.  You do not want to be too agressive and damage anything.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Dried Blood and Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon regarding this issue.  Applying antibiotic ointment to the nostril area can help loosen dried blood ,and keep it clean.  Be careful not to bump your nose.  It is uncommon to have dried blood in your nose blocking your airway.  See your Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1

Dear Gorilla,

Thank you for your post.  Don't do anything drastic.  Best not to pull a large dry clot out of the nose as this can disrupt the incision.  May be a good idea to be seen by your plastic surgeon to break up the clot and gently remove it.  

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I dont think the dried blood inside your nose will affect your final result

+1

Thank you for the question.  Although bleeding and dried blood are not uncommon after rhinoplasty it is a little uncommon to have a large amount of dried blood inside your nose blocking your nasal airway.  Probably the best thing to is have your plastic surgeon help you remove or debulk that dry blood so that saline nasal spray can get in there and help remove the rest.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD