What Can I Do to Get Rid of the Angry Look That People Have Told Me I Have All my Life? I Am 47 and Am Really Tired of It.

Ever since I can remember, back as far as grade school, people are always saying to me, "What's wrong" and when I ask why, they say, "Oh, you look so mad". I am not mad at all but because my mouth "crinkles up" as my mom used to say or my lips tighten together as others have told me, everyone thinks I am angry. What can I do to get rid of this without it costing a fortune. I have tried wrinkle cream and frankly, that didn't work nor do I have the patience at this point for it. PLEASE HELP.

Botox for an 'angry look'

+1

Gina,

It's hard to say what you might be dealing with without a photo but it sounds like your lips tighten and you may get some lines around the mouth when this happens. It also sounds like it's involuntary and you don't mean to do it. Botox helps relax muscles and if you feel your lips are actually contracting or creating the line unintentionally but it's not there when you intentionally relax your lips then Botox would be helpful. Any lines that you have at rest around the mouth (so called vertical lip lines or lipstick lines) can be treated with thin fillers such as Juvederm or belotero or a skin resurfacing procedure such as Dermabrasion.

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com/botox-atlanta/

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of the angry look

+1

In order to make recommendations that would be appropriate, a patient needs to be seen in-person for their anatomy of facial expressions to be evaluated and determine which is the best course of treatment, with Botulinum toxin and /or fillers.

Sometimes it's the way the skin between the eyebrows crinkles into vertical folds, or the lips turn down at the corners. For some patients, Botox used off-label in the DAO muscle can lift the corner of the lip, or fillers can do the same.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Reducing an Angry Look with Botox and Fillers

+1

Creams will only penetrate the top layer of skin, whereas botox will prevent muscle contraction and smooth out the lines and wrinkles giving you that “angry look.”  Filler injections will also help to smooth out wrinkles around your mouth.   Most patients find that botox injections last from 4-5 months, filler injections 5-6 months.  This time frame depends on the amount injected, the severity of lines, and the frequency of movement in the face.  Consult with a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for a treatment plan designed for your individual needs. 

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and mouth lines

+1

Without seeing your photo, it's hard to answer this question - however based on what you are describing, it sounds like Botox and a dermal filler (Juvederm or Restylane) will help you relax the muscle around your mouth and settle down or smooth out some fine lines.

Angry look

+1

The "angry look" can because of several different facial issues. The best thing to do is get properly evaluated by a plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Neuromodulators and fillers can help soften the "angry look"

+1

People communicate by making facial expressions with facial muscles. In general, the angry look results from contraction of the muscles around the eyes and around the mouth. Small amounts of neuromodulators (i.e. Botox) can help soften these lines and relax these muscles. Filler material can soften etched lines and provide the foundation for an upturned mouth, both of which create an aesthetically pleasing look. I would seek treatment from an experienced physician to tailor the treatment to your needs.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

This is a very common request. Without photos it is impossible to give you specific advice. However, there are numerous effective non-surgical and surgical options to reduce the "angry look" that concerns you. These will all be explained to you during a consultation with a board-certified facial surgeon. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/botox-dysport-xeomin-neuromodulators

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to get rid of angry face

+1

Photos would be helpful here.  You may benefit from Botox and facial fillers.  Unfortunately, wrinkle creams will not relax the musculature of the face nor will they will in deep, severe-appearing crease lines.  See a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in consultation.  

What could I do to get rid of of the angry look?

+1

Hello, without a photo no one can advise you. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified  Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you.

Excellent treatment fothe angry look with injections

+1

Dear Gina 5963,

What you're describing is a very common reason why many patients come in for treatment.  The best treatments are injectibles to make the lips and smile look sweeter, softer and more relaxed.   The eyes can similarly be made more relaxed, less stressed and angry with botox and other injectibles.  Even though these are temporary treatments, they are more precise at getting the right results without causing any permanent problems.  Once you have achieved the results you want with simple injections, then you can consider more long-lasting treatments.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.