Can I Get Rid of Most Stretch Marks on my Stomach with a Tummy Tuck?

I have some stretch marks on my tummy (10 or so). 2 of them extend 3 inches above my belly button. I'm not concerned about the scar that it will leave. I couldn't care less. So, is it possible that if I want to get rid of those marks as well if the incision is done higher than usual? I'm 5'8, 205 lbs, male. Seems most of my fat goes to my stomach. I do plan on getting down to 170 lbs before the surgery. So, is it possible? Like I said, I couldn't care less of the position of the scar.

Abdominoplasty to get rid of abdominal stretch marks

+1

Abdominoplasty is often utilized to remove stretch marks.  Typically the stretch marks are those that are located below the umbilicus, but the operation can be designed in such a way to remove those stretch marks that extend above the umbilicus.  This usually will result in an incisional scar that will end up in a less desirable and higher location on the abdominal wall.   It is important to remember that for an abdominoplasty to be used for treatment of stretch marks, there has to be associated redundant skin that is removed with the stretch marks. Abdominoplasty and other options should be discussed with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Stretch marks

+1

You can have an abdominoplasty modified in your case to place the scar a little higher in order to get rid of more stretch marks, if you so,desire.  Persobally, I think you are better off keeping the scar low, even ir it means leaving a few stretch marks behind.  If you have a consult with a plastic surgeon, he or she will be able to draw out on your abdomen exactly which stretch marks you can expect to be removed in different scenarios.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck surgery to remove stretch marks

+1

When performing tummy tuck surgery, the incision is placed close to the proximity of the suprapubic region, and extend across the pelvic area. The skin and fat flap then get lifted up, the belly button incision is made, to ensure preserving the umbilical stalk, then the laxity of the midline tissues gets tightened up. Next the skin flap gets pulled down and removed. So, the stretch marks that you have currently, most will be removed. However, the stretch marks that are above the belly button area may not be removed completely. This depends on how much tissues will be able to get pulled down to be removed. Now, please also understand that after the tummy tuck surgery, you may develop NEW  stretch marks, due to the genetic makeup of your skin as well as the tension placed on your tissues.
You should have a good discussion with your plastic surgeon to make sure your questions and your goals are understood.
Dr. Vu

Kim-Chi Vu, MD

Stretch Marks

+1

It is difficult to comment on the number of stretch marks that will be removed without a photograph and, preferably, an examination.  The amount of skin that will be removed depends on its laxity both below and above the navel.  Generally, I do not think it is wise to place the incision too high.  You might feel that the scar will not be a problem but you may feel quite differently after surgery.  At that time it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to move the scar lower.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your tummy tuck will remove most of the stretch marks that lie below the umbilicus.

Most patients do not object to the few stretch marks that remain after surgery.

They are usually less objectionable once the skin has been tightened.

Placing the scar higher would be an option; aesthetically, however, this might look less pretty than having a lower scar with a few remaining striae.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks

+1

Thanks for your question and desription, but without a picture it is hard to know how much skin would be removed at your tummy tuck.  Usually, most of the stretch marks below your belly button can go away.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who on exam can tell you better.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Only surgery will remove stretch marks on the abdomen.

+1

An abdominoplasty will remove stretch marks of the abdomen if they reside below the umbilicus.  If there are marks above the abdomen, depending on circumstances, they might or might not be removed by a conventional abdominoplasty. 

Stretch mark removal

+1

A tummy tuck can usually remove excess skin and fat and any stretch marks up to the level of your current umbilicus (belly button).  But a physical exam is really needed to tell you how much of your stretch marks can really be removed.  Once your weight loss has stabilized, I recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Yes it possible, accurate recommendation would at least require a photo

+1

Thank you for the question.  Yes, a higher incision would theoretically allow more of the stretch marks that are near or above the belly button to be removed.  Exactly where the incision should/can be placed and what stretch marks can be removed will depend on your body and the amount of laxity present.  Photos would be helpful to provide more accurate recommendations.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD