How Can I Get Rid of Severe Hyperpigmentation After Active FX?

I had Active FX done on my upper thighs for stretch marks. The Dr. guaranteed that I would be ok after 3 months. 7 months have passed and my skin is severely hyperpigmentated and destroyed. I don´t know it will ever go away. I have olive skin. He gave me a cream with Kojicol, and then one with mandelac. They irritated my skin. I had to move to France and can´t get any advice here, but went to a laser clinic and said that fraxel laser may help. Is this true? what can I do for hyperpigmentation?

Hyperpitmentation after Active FX

+2

Hyperpigmentation is a risk any carbon dioxide laser, whether or not it is fractionated like the Active FX.  Pre treatment before the procedure with 4% hydroquinone helps prevent it, but even then some patients can get it.  Patients with darker skin types are more prone to it.  The good news is that we have never seen post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) after a carbon dioxide laser treatment not clear with time and 4% hydroquionone.    Talk to you doctor.  I would not run to treat this with another laser.  The legs are particularly prone to this problem.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for your question. Do not do a Fraxel laser unless you want the pigment to get darker.  I see many patients who have had Fraxel laser for pigment and the vast majority  of them have increased pigmentation.  Pigment is best treated with careful chemical peels, IPL and or v-Beam when appropriate and 755nm lasers.  For your legs, I would do no laser treatments at this time.  Try either a 4-6% Hydroquinone, and 2% kojic Acid which you may have.  Sunscreen every 2 hours with at least an spf30 and a zinc base if possible.  Chemical sunscreens take time to be effective, at least 15-30 minutes.  Zinc and titanium are immediate.   After a month, have a test spot on your leg with a variety of pigment lasers.  I would start with the V-Beam first.   I hope this helps!

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Melarase creams and improving hyperpigmentation after Active FX

+1

Begin with Melarase cream twice daily followed by a monthly MelaPeel to reduce the pigmentation associated with fractional laser. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS