Can I Get Rid of Old Scars? (photo)

I am a 45 year old African-American female. When I was in my early 20s, blisters formed on my leg. Eventually, they burst and scars appeared. Over the years, I have tried all kinds of over-the-counter skin creams. However, the scars have remained. It is depressing to be unable to wear swimsuits, shorts or skirts, without feeling uncomfortable. Many of the skin covering makeup is heavy and doesn't match my skin tone. Are there any new ways to remove old scars? Help!

How To Get Rid of A Old Dark Scar/A Three Step Method

+1

First of all there is no way to totally remove a darkened scar.  One should strive to find a process where the darkened portion of the scar is lightened and blends in with the surrounding non-damaged skin and therefore appears less noticable.  In my experience this can be accomplished in the following manner:

• You will require 3-4 well focused BBL laser treatments. (this laser will lighten the scar)
  • After the scar has lightened then you should utilize a topical  skin bleaching cream over the scar to keep it lighter.  
  • Be sure to utilize a sunblock over the scar when exposed to sunlight. This will help to prevent a return to the hyperpigmented scar that was improved.

With this method you should expect a 40 to 70% improvement in the scar.

Joseph Rucker M.D. 

Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Dark Spots on Legs

+1

Thank you for the pictures.  Hyperpigmentation is difficult to treat.  There no surgical solutions that will significantly improve or eliminate this issue.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Can I Get Rid of Old Scars?

+1

Based only on the posted photos and history I recommend against ANY surgical intervention in this case. 

Dark scars on the legs can be treated with Melarase

+1

Dark scars on the legs can be treated topically with Melarase cream followed by once monthly MelaPeel treatments to exfoliate and remove old pigment. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS