Getting Rid of Redness Without Damage to Facial Hair

(i am 19yr male). i have been considering getting ipl done to get rid of the redness that stretches across my cheeks (it covers areas of facial hair) however i do not want to damage my facial hair + any follicles.

i do not have much facial hair yet, but want to be able to grow out a thick beard covering my entire face in the future. I heard lasers do not damage hair but make redness worse.I am desperate to achieve a smooth crystal clear face. i want to b able to tan in the future (light skin now

IPL can affect facial hair growth while treating redness

+1

There is no practical way of avoiding the possibility.  Whatever little hair there is now can still be affected by IPL treatment.

Facial redness may be due to a number of causes, including seborrheic dermatitis (inflammatory form of dandruff common in teenagers) and rosacea.  Both of these have medical treatments that may improve the redness.  See your dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment.

Also, why tan?  Tanning will age the skin, give you wrinkles, increase the chance of skin cancer AND make more dilated blood vessels on your face, increasing the redness.  I would urge you not to do that.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Resolving Facial Redness Without Loss of Facial Hair

+1

If you want no damage to your facial hair what so ever, then I would recommend you avoid IPL and laser treatment to control the facial redness you have across your cheeks.

Consult with a specialist to ensure that you do not have rosacea. There are viable, effective non-laser treatments that may sufficiently improve the redness you are experiencing. The treatment for rosacea and diffuse redness varies depending on the severity of involvement. You may need to be on oral antibiotics and a specific skin care regimen that emphasize calming and moisturizing the skin as well as strengthening the skin's barrier.

Currently I recommend treating patients with rosacea and facial redness from chronic sun exposure or other causes with one of the following in their core skin care regimen: Revaleskin Intense Recovery Treatment, SkinMedica Redness Relief Calmplex or Epionce Medical Barrier Cream

Seattle General Surgeon