Get Rid of Redness After Shave Biopsy?

I had a shave biopsy done on my nose to remove a small lesion left from a cyst I had a few years ago (I figured it was a hypertrophic scar). The lesion came right back and the biopsy shows that is a dillated hair follicle with surrounding acanthosis.

However, it is now red rather than skin-colored. Will cortisone injections help with either the redness or to reduce the mass itself? My doctor has said Candela laser will help with the redness but I am hesitant to undergo any more procedures.

Resolving Redness after a Shave Biopsy

+1

To confirm, your primary concern is to reduce the redness of the nasal lesion, but not necessarily get rid of the lesion/cyst itself. I am not clear from your question what the interval was between the shave biopsy and recurrence of the cyst.

Diffuse redness is best resolved using intense pulsed light (IPL), diode or pulsed dye lasers. An Nd:YAG laser can be helpful as well. If it has only been a few weeks or months since the shave biopsy and redness, you may be best served by waiting for the natural healing process to progress, at which point the redness will resolve on its own. We advise patients to use generous amounts of a broad spectrum (SPF 30 minimum) sunscreen and other sun protection while incisions are healing to prevent prolonged redness and hyperpigmentation

Cortisone injections may not be helpful to reduce the mass itself, unless there is an element of inflammation. 

Redness after shave biopsy

+1

The redness will likely resolve on its own with time. If you are needing the redness gone sooner rather than later, laser with pulse dye laser or IPL would be helpful. Cortisone injections reduce thickness of scars and reduce redness somewhat. Minimizing sun exposure during healing helps redness resolve faster too.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon