Can You Get Rid of Pointy Ears? (photo)

Fixing congenital ear deformities

+2

yours is a tough one but it is possible to improve it.  This looks a bit like a Stahl deformity to me. You may require some cartilage grafting or other reconstructive work to get the shape you want. This is opposed to other traditional otoplasty maneuvers that essentially just include reshaping the ear with placement of strategic sutures. All that being said, I have to be honest and say it could be difficult to get a really good shape or a perfect result of this but I do think it is possible to get a very nice improvement. This could be done under local anesthesia and the attached video may be helpful to you as this person has a similar situation.

I hope that was helpful

Chase Lay MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can You Get Rid of Pointy Ears?

+1

There is deficiency of the upper portion of left ear, however, if the your other ear as short as this one without the pointiness, then, it can be done with cartilage restructuring which will correct the problem. However, if your right ear has a full upper cartilage, then you will be better off with cartilage graft to to increase the left upper fullness.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage Grafting for Pointy Ears

+1

What you have is a helical deficiency of the upper 1/3 of the ear. The absence of adequate cartilage development makes the helical root more pointy in appearance. This can be improved by cartilage grafting of the outer helix to expand the helical rim and increase upper ear height and give a more rounded appearance to it.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Can You Get Rid of Pointy Ears?

+1

I think you can get improvement of the ears with excision of this area and reduction or setback of the concha.  This takes a little creativity on the part of the surgeon, but this is not complicated.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA