Can I get rid of my square/chubby face with botox in my masseter or is it due to my mandible shape? (photo)

Square Jaws Due To Masseter Muscle Hypertrophy Can Respond Well To Botox (or Dysport or Xeomin)

+1

An in-the-flesh examination is the only real way for determining the best treatment. If indeed the masseter muscle, the muscle responsible for biting down, is hypertrophied (enlarged), then a neuromodulator, such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin, would be a good place to start. Injecting the masseter, close to the jawline, in two places per side, is often enough to give enough shrinkage to change a square jawline to the more desirable triangular shape. Since this is a muscle that controls the vital function of chewing, it is imperative that you seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience in treating this area.

Contribution of mandible versus masseter to width at gonial angle

+1

As you have alluded to, the width of your jaw along the angles is due partially to the size/shape of your mandible and partially due to the size/shape of your masseter muscle. An in-person evaluation is the only way to give you an accurate answer regarding your specific case.

However, in most cases, even when the mandible is large and "square", treating the masseter muscle will create tapering of the jawline. Especially with serial treatments (repeat treatments every 3-4 months) the effect can be quite drastic as the muscle continues to atrophy and shrink while the Botox takes effect.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Treatment of prominent jaw

+1

it is impossible to determine the cause without examining you. If there is a large masseter muscle, botox treatments over time can diminish the bulk of the muscle and make your jawline more slim. If it is bone the botox will be less likely to help. You need to see a cosmetic dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon to help you with this issue.

I hope this helps you!

Laura Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon