Can getting rid of my small "bump" give me more of a "turned up" tip? (photos)

I have a slight deviated septum on my right nostril. My tip seemed more "turned up" or "perky" as a teen and now in my mid 20s it seems to have thickened out. I was told my top lip muscle (right under the nose) has gotten so strong it pulls the tip of the nose downwards and over time it has dragged it down. What do u recommend? I only dislike my nose when I smile. Tip gets too bulbous. I don't want to place fake tip or take anything out Thank u for taking the time to do this! U r all amazing!!

Removing the bump may a tip look MORE bulbous

+1
If the height of your bridge or "bump" is lowered then most likely from the front view your tip will look wider. This is due to the way the light will reflect with the new, lower supratip. Since you already have a bulbous tip and are concerned with that, I advise leaving the height as is. The tip can be refined and reshaped independently and it will wind up looking more natural and more elegant than if the bridge were lowered. The tip can be lifted as well.

Removal a bump to turn up the tip of nose (rhinoplasty)

+1
The short answer is yes- removing a bump (dorsal convexity) from the upper part of the nose can make the tip more perky.  The longer, more boring/exhaustive answer is that there are many forces acting on the tip to give it the appearance it has- the shape/size of the underlying cartilage; the shape/size of the septum; the strength of the surrounding muscles; the action of the soft tissues when you make facial expressions; the thickness of the overlying skin, etc.  (surprisingly complicated isn't it?).  Each of these can be modified to some degree, depending on the desired outcome.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, the bump removal will allow your tip to look better. Rhinoplasty indicated.

+1
Dear Superd:

You are a cute young lady and, yes, you were cute when you were a little younger, but no reason why you cannot have some improvement on a nose which you nicely illustrated for us.

If your septum is deviated, that can of course be corrected. It is true that, as you get older, particularly with muscle activities, the nose can droop down a little. You are a little young to have a naturally droopy tip from aging. But it is certainly likely the droop is being caused by the depressor septi muscle, which can be dealt with during your rhinoplasty. It's not a major effort to release the muscle and prevent it from dragging the tip of the nose down when you smile.
Regarding your nose tip getting "too bulbous" when you smile: unfortunately, that is due to the lateral pull of the cheek muscles on the nostrils, and that cannot be corrected by surgery. Some people have done some experiments using some Botox to see if they can selectively paralyze those muscles, but that is not yet an orthodox treatment. However, the most important thing is that the basic changes you want can be done.The bump can be taken down, the tip can be refined, and that will help make the nose look a lot better, even when you smile.

Of course, you do not want a "fake tip." You want a natural nose, and that is what you should have.

My best advice is to do a lot of homework, visit my and a lot of other doctors' websites. Look carefully at large collections of before and after photos, and look for people who have problems like you that demonstrate a satisfactory improvement in the after photos.You need to see a large variety of cases to understand the doctor's talent and art form.

When you go for consultation, be sure to have computer imaging. Otherwise, it is all guesswork. You need to see what the doctor believes he can deliver, and you need to be comfortable with that result. The time you spend with the doctor and doing the computer imaging is extremely important. As a matter of fact, the more time you spend  studying "upfront," the more likely you are going to have the result that you want. This is important.

Besides visiting websites, I am big on reading books.I have written two books (listed below) that would be appropriate for you. Also, other doctors have excellent books out there. Check them out. Get a few of the books. You can get the electronic versions of my and others' books, and that is pretty inexpensive, but then you will have concentrated information. Study hard. Take your time. Go for several consultations with specialists whose practices concentrate on mostly rhinoplasty or cosmetic nasal surgery. That is the kind of specialist you want.

I hope this was helpful to you.The facial features that you have shown us look to be very nice and so, hopefully, you will have a very nice result.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Rhinolasty and bump and tip

+1
A rhinoplasty procedure to refine your nose is possible. Shaving the small bump will not elevate your tip, but tip refininement can be performed in conjunction.  

Rhinoplasty for bump removal

+1
The rhinoplasty procedure can shave a bump down which is composed of both bone and cartilage. If the tip is becoming  droopy with animation and smiling, then releasing the depressor septi ligament will be required. This can all be performed under close rhinoplasty techniques as an outpatient surgical procedure.

Can getting rid of my small "bump" give me more of a "turned up" tip?

+1
I think dorsal refinement is fine, but that will not help the bulbous tip.  The tip can be refined through a closed rhinoplasty.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Bump and Hanging Nasal Tip

+1

The small bump can be removed. At the same time your wide tip cartilages can be narrowed and the hanging columella (the structure between your nostrils) should be lifted. See an experienced specialist for these limited changes so you achieve a natural result.

Rhinoplasty and bump removal

+1

Although sanding down the bump on your bridge will not 'technically' raise your tip, it might contribute to the appearance of a 'perkier' tip.  This is the beauty of rhinoplasty: each facet of the nose and the changes made to them has an impact on other aspects of the nose. This is what I call the balance and harmony of each part.

As you mentioned, your tip is slightly full or bulbous, and treating that will raise the tip, which should probably be enough. You have provided some excellent photos, and looking at your lateral view shows a tip that is already in a very nice position regarding its rotation.  I don't think you'd be too pleased with much more. 

I don't believe you need to take much cartilage out of your tip.  Controlling the bulbous tip is more about the utilization of permanent sutures to bend and mold the tip cartilages into a nice and natural shape.  Doing these maneuvers mentioned will give you a natural result with a nice improvement.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

No, removing a small bump on the bridge of your nose will not turn the tip up.  Your tip, however, is a bit bulbous.  This can be thinned using a tipplasty.  This is a surgical procedure and the recovery is fairly quick.  The tip and bridge should enhance your beauty by appearing sleek and feminine.

Removing nasal bump and refining the bulbous tip.

+1
Removing nasal bump and refining the bulbous tip can cause tip rotation as u said. If u choose an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon u should have an excellent non operated natural nose. For 35 years I have found patients choose natural noses.