Can I Get Rid of my Hump and Make my Nostrils Smaller Without Raising my Nose? (photo)

I told one doctor that I would like to straighten my bridge, fix my droopy tip, but not raise it (because I have big nostrils and do not want them to show any more than they already are) and preferably even close the nostril space to make them smaller if possible. He told me the way my nose is shaped there is no way to fix my droopy nasal tip without raising my nostrils and hence having them show a bit more. Is this true or can this be done by another surgeon?

Hump reduction with nostril size concerns.

+1

Raising a droopy tip is a wonderful opportunity to make nostrils even less visible.  The technique I use brings the columella or skin bridge between the nostrils up so there is less inside the nose visible.  If you are speaking about the other dimension of the nostril-- projecting the tip out for a better relationship with the bridge--this can lengthen the nostril, but the surgeon can choose a technique that doesn't do this.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hump reduction and change the tip defining point

+1

While a lot depends on your skin and the position of your nasal septum, what you ask should be possible. I would need to examine you to confirm the findings:  The tip usually can be retro-displaced (put back) with the overall position unchanged. The hump can also be reduced.  From your photo the tip does nots seem to droop.  The angle between your lip and nose seems slightly greater than 90 degrees.  Addition of a cartilage graft to the dip can also raise what we call the tip defining point without raising the tip itself. This helps to eleveate what you might consider droopy.  And finally, the shape of the nostrils will be changde by retrodisplacement.  They will flatten some and usually look smaller from the side.  I have attached a link for you.  There are others on the same page. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Rid of my Hump and Make my Nostrils Smaller Without Raising my Nose?

+1

Of course.  You can have a Rhinoplasty to reduce the dorsal hump and reduce nostril flare without making any other aesthetic changes, to the nose, if that is your goal.  It is not required to rotate the tip or make any other specific changes, to the nose, when performing Rhinoplasty as long as the Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands which combination of techniques to apply.  For instance, in my opinion, an Open Rhinoplasty creates tip rotation of 5 to 7 degrees by the nature of the tissue dissection and release.  So in your particular case, an open Rhinoplasty should be avoided and a Closed Rhinoplasty performed instead. 

Rhinoplasty questions

+1

You did not include a photo of your nose from the front.  If you do not need much work done on the nasal tip then reducing the nasal hump will not cause the nasal tip to rotate up or increase your degree of columellar show.  

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal without raising the tip

+1

It is certainly possible  to perform a dorsal hump reduction without  raising the nasal tip. It is  also important to release the depressor septi ligament  if present, which pulls the tip down upon animation. Please see the  link below  to our dorsal reduction rhinoplasty photo gallery

Rhinoplasty to remove the nasal hump with out increasing nostril show.

+1

Rhinoplasty to remove the nasal hump with out increasing nostril show is possible if you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. The hump can be removed and just the tip supported without increasing nostril show.. 

The tip of the nose doesn't always need to be raised in rhinoplasty

+1

The second most common request in rhinoplasty after hump removal is raising a droopy tip. But it that isn't what you have, then it doesn't necessarily need to occur. After a careful discussion with your chosen surgeon, the ultimate tip position can be determined and your surgeon can suggest ways to achieve a mutually desirable result.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty has great potential

+1

Trouble during rhinoplasty consultation can revolve around terms that can be misunderstood. Your nose is not unusual for someone seeking rhinoplasty, and computer simulation may give a better idea of how things can work out for you. Rhinoplasty has great potential and there is a solution for your nose without nostril show. Another opinion might prove a better fit.

Goals of Rhinoplasty- Digital Imaging can help make sure that you are on the same page

+1

Thank you for your question and your photo.  While it is difficult to give you a full assessment based solely on a single photo, I think that your goals are reasonable.  As others have said, I definitely recommend consultation with multiple surgeons.  Let them examine you, and be vocal about your goals. In my opinion, in-office digital imaging and photo morphing helps make sure that patients and their surgeons are on the same page when it comes to goals of surgery.  I will say that one often glossed over, but critical point in choosing a surgeon, assuming that you are choosing among equally qualified and capable surgeons, is choosing a surgeon who's aesthetic and opinion you trust.  Aesthetic surgery is a little bit science and a little bit art.  Inevitably, your surgeon will need to make decisions for you while you are asleep that will impact your final result, and you need be comfortable that you and your surgeon are on the same page in terms of the goals of surgery and what you consider to be a beautiful result.  Pre-operative imaging really helps make sure that my patients and I are indeed on the same page.

Dara Liotta, MD

+1

Dear Trijal,

Thank you for your question and photo.  It could be that your surgeon was confused about what you were asking.  Obviously, if something is droopy, the fix for this is lifting it.  But in your case the hook of the nose is causing the tip to look droopy.  If this hook is reversed to more of a slope, then the tip will 'look' like it is no longer droopy, even though it hasn't actually changed positions.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon