What Can I Use to Get Rid of my Male Breast Reduction Scars?

Will some scaring fade on its own after breast reduction surgery?

What can I use to get rid of my male breast reuction scars?

+1
It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia scarring

+1
The scars should go on to fade on their own over the course of a year. Silicone sheeting or topical silicone can assist in scar healing but the most important factor is time.

Treating scars from gynecomastia surgery

+1

Placement of the incision for removal of the breast gland is very important. Being at the edge of the areola allows it to heal and be almost invisible. More noticeable is the tiny incision used for liposuction and placement of the drains. I now put them high up into the armpit toward the back and most of my patients have a hard time finding them. As soon as the incisions are healed I have my patients start using silicone sheeting and have found this to be a great help in the healing of the scars.

Web reference: http://www.gynecomastiaspecialist.com/blog/gynecomastia-surgery-and-the-use-of-drains/

Breast reduction scars

+1

Unfortunately, nothing you can use will “get rid” of scars. I tell patients that “tincture of time” is the best remedy as scars to improve over time. Initially scars may be pink/red/purple but gradually fade  (during the first 2 years  after surgery).   The hope is that the improvement in contour will offset the downside of the presence of scars.

Silicone-based products (sheeting or gel)  may be helpful for some patients.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_gynecomastia.htm

Fading scars

+1

Scars will continue to improve really for a year or two. They stay very pink for about 3 months and then fade over the next 3-6 months. I recommend either taping, Medrema, or silicone gel sheeting. Sometimes a certain type of laser can help but usually not worth the expense.

Male Breast Reduction Scars

+1

The scars after a male breast reduction (gynecomastectomy)  as well as other surgical [procedures tend to fade for sevral months following surgery.  This process sometimes lasts for a year or more.  Scar reduction strips and gels, especially those containing silicone), often speed up this process and lead to better scars after full maturation.

Scars

+1

Scarse are permanent. initialy scars are very prominent and red. With time scars mature and the redness will disappear.

Some scars can become hypertrophic, or thick. some scars become keloid, depending on your genetic makeup.

You need to wait for one year to two years for scars to mature. and fade. If there is any problem with the scars consult your plastic surgeon. The use of silicone gel sheating will hasten the resolution of the scars.

Some scars may require revision, or other treatments to flatten and improve on their appearance.